One chick suddenly sleeping all day; day 5 since hatch

Sunshine_Amy

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
Western Mass
Hey everyone. We got our chicks this week, yay! All has been well, but now I'm worried about one chick's excessive sleeping.

Here's the full picture:

Of our 6 chicks that shipped on Monday, we picked up on Tuesday at noon. Despite the quick delivery, one didn't make the shipping journey and arrived unrevivable. The rest have been happy and perky, and napping a ton, but also running around between their brief naps. My favorite girl, our Salmon Faverolles, who has so much curiosity and spunk and character, and who seems to like to be "on guard" (yesterday was running around while everyone else was sleeping, more times than not), is the one suddenly sleeping today, all day. I'm hoping she's just playing catch up, what do you think? It's been 6 ½ hours, and she does perk up when jostled, but then goes right back to sleep. I caught her chirping in her sleep, too. So she seems to have her wits about her, but I can't help but being concerned about the change, since it's so unlike her. We've gotten her to drink a few times, but otherwise are letting her rest.

As far as possible concerns, other than the bird who didn't live through shipping, the things that I can think of are the following: Leaving the electrolyte solution too long before changing it yesterday; I went a little more than a day, and noticed things floating in it when dumping; now I'm changing it 2x/day. The rocks I used in the drinkers; I rinsed them, but they were just off a beach we visited on Lake Ontario, and now I'm thinking I should have boiled them. Lastly, while I'm only feeding them organic chick starter (Green Mountain), I did give them a pinch of chick grit yesterday in their food, as a YouTuber recommended, since they are pecking just a little bit at things in their environment, like the bark on the sticks I have for roosting, and the cardboard that I've poked the roosts into.

Let me know what you think. She's my favorite girl, and this is our first flock, so I'm a nervous chicky mama!

Last edited:
I just gave her some Nutri-Drench on a Q-tip, just a couple of drops' worth. 3 minutes later and she woke up on her own and stood up and chirped! She's back to napping, but I'll repeat it later today, and I've put some in all of their water. Seems to be helping!

I understand how nerve-wracking this can be as I'm a new chicken mama too. We hatched our own with the kids. Ours hatched May 1. With the bird flu going around I would definitely not use anything that has been close to wild waterfowl. I don't mix our feed and grit. I have the grit and a small dish and they will go to it on their own as they need it. I used dye and taste free Pedialyte mixed in their water. I went a day or two without changing it and they were just fine. I've been reading a lot that hard-boiled or scrambled eggs seems to give lethargic chicks a boost maybe you could try that?

I understand how nerve-wracking this can be as I'm a new chicken mama too. We hatched our own with the kids. Ours hatched May 1. With the bird flu going around I would definitely not use anything that has been close to wild waterfowl. I don't mix our feed and grit. I have the grit and a small dish and they will go to it on their own as they need it. I used dye and taste free Pedialyte mixed in their water. I went a day or two without changing it and they were just fine. I've been reading a lot that hard-boiled or scrambled eggs seems to give lethargic chicks a boost maybe you could try that?
Good point about the rocks and wild waterfowl. Crossing fingers that isn’t the problem. I’ve heard about scrambled eggs, I’ll give it a try, thanks!

One of the first things I check now when a bird isn’t getting up to eat and is laying down a lot is pasty butt. It’s not always the case but if it is and not caught it can be deadly for them
Thank you. I’ve just checked. It would be visible, right? Her little fluffy but looks so clean I can’t even see for sure where her vent is. All the others have a slight streak there from waste.

Thank you. I’ve just checked. It would be visible, right? Her little fluffy but looks so clean I can’t even see for sure where her vent is. All the others have a slight streak there from waste.
I haven’t checked on chicks just ducklings but I know it’s common on both birds
If you can feel where her bum would be it would be hard poo blocking her area

I haven’t checked on chicks just ducklings but I know it’s common on both birds
If you can feel where her bum would be it would be hard poo blocking her area
Thanks. I just checked closer and it’s all clear. Of course she then promptly pooped. A bit wet since I’ve been q-tip hydrating her (apparently in excess), but otherwise looked normal.

Back
Top Bottom