One Chicken Keeps her Tail Held High

Nope! Nope Nope. Caponizing is super risky and expensive. It just gives you a sad, fat male chicken who tries to sit on eggs.
I watch a YouTube video, all they did was flip them on their back, cut them open and take the testiculs out. Then put them in there pen, didn’t even give make them go to sleep. I wonder how a rooster would take care of chicks. That would be funny to see.🤣

I watch a YouTube video, all they did was flip them on their back, cut them open and take the testiculs out. Then put them in there pen, didn’t even give make them go to sleep. I wonder how a rooster would take care of chicks. That would be funny to see.🤣
They’re probably very experienced and have done it many times. Nothing is usually ever as easy as it looks in videos or online. Especially if someone is new at it. It will NOT be that easy or fast and they could hurt the bird.

Well I don't approve of it, but I tell you how. In the evening before the flock goes to bed they kidnap a capon from the flock and they pull his chest feathers then they hit it with a stick. Then they put him under a basket with nesting material and then in the dead of the night they snuck chicks under him. By the next morning he adopts the chicks. I have never tried it, but I have seen it. Tribal people do it to make the mother hen lay again.

They’re probably very experienced and have done it many times. Nothing is usually ever as easy as it looks in videos or online. Especially if someone is new at it. It will NOT be that easy or fast and they could hurt the bird.
I do agree with you. It may not be as easy as it looks.

Id like to try but I'm too scared I mite cut some thing wrong. I'm young so may be a could practice on a rooster I don't like or if one passes away I could see what it looks like.
I don’t think it’s really necessary unless you’re raising them for meat or want a pet or something. I just wouldn’t risk it or try it just to try it. Not worth it.

Id like to try but I'm too scared I mite cut some thing wrong. I'm young so may be a could practice on a rooster I don't like or if one passes away I could see what it looks like.

Don't try it on adult roosters, when male chickens become mature their testicles become fragile and soft, making it difficult to remove it in a single piece and increasing the chances of a slip.

Practice on cockerels aged 6-8 weeks. The skill of caponization is a very useful skill. Caponization makes a bird more plump and tender unlike the tough and chewy meat of a rooster. A capon is also much more flavorful and succulent than broiler chickens as they can be raised on pasture in a free range system like normal chickens. Also if later on in your life you decide to expand your chicken operation it will come very handy. This will solve two dilemmas that chicken enthusiasts face, firstly you will no longer be afraid of hatching eggs as the cockerel problem is solved, secondly you will be less relied on raising or buying Cornish crosses from grocery stores. But you will need a good caponization kit first.

Back
Top Bottom