One chicken not laying. same age and breed.

missy_cbell21

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
maysville, nc
I have four white leghorns that are between 6-7 months old. When I got them at about 4 months old they were all the same size and had smaller dark pink combs. Three of them have been laying for a month and a half, the other is still not ready. Her comb looks a little bigger and red but still alot smaller then the others. She is very healthy and active looking, eats and drinks well. I'm not sure what is going on with her, let me know if this is normal for some to develop slower then others, or if you need any other info too figure this problem out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Some just take a little longer to mature than others. I have several of leghorn pullets, around the same age as yours, and I too have a few 'late' bloomers. Give her a little more time, I say she'll lay within the next month
smile.png

Your hen might not be laying for these reasons:
-Undiscovered nest
-Undiscovered pest
-Molting
-Health

Good luck!
smile.png

As long as she is acting, eating, drinking normally, and everybody else is happy, you probably just need to be patient. For instance the ISA Brown commercial birds they expect 2% to be laying at 18 weeks and peak at 96% at 27 weeks, so there is a lot variation even in birds that have been strictly controlled so far as diet and housing etc goes and bred for years for to be uniform.

Back
Top Bottom