One chick's feathers are coming in different

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HuskerChickMom, Mar 24, 2018.

1. HuskerChickMom

HuskerChickMom In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2017
    I have 8 Buff Orpington chicks that are all supposed to be pullets and I have one that isn't getting it's feathers in like the others and is smaller. It has a bit bigger comb than the others too if that makes a difference. I was wondering if this was something to be really concerned about or if it's somewhat typical. I haven't noticed any of the others picking on it and no real bald spots. The chick in question is the one in the corner of the photos.

Attached Files:

2. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    That looks like a boy. BO are usually pretty slow for their comb and wattles to show.

3. HuskerChickMom

Apr 3, 2017
    I was wondering if it was a little roo, but worried that it's feathers seem a little more sporadic than the others. Is that more common with roos?

4. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    It looks like he's feathering in slower than the rest. I can't remember if the boys feather slower with BO specifically it could just be an individual thing. he looks healthy. :) and scared of the camera lol

5. HuskerChickMom

Apr 3, 2017
    Yes he is very camera shy unlike two of his sisters who are so curious about everything I do that I had a hard time getting a good shot of him. Thank you for your responses. I worry about my little guys so this site helps a lot!!

Rose Quartz likes this.
  6. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    NP. we all love our little critters to bits. :) BYC is the best thing I've found for helping with chicken questions.

HuskerChickMom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: