one clever chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scooter147, Sep 17, 2009.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Ok, I have one Golden Lakenvelder that is an escape artist.
    Everyday for the past week when I get home she has gotten out of the run. I have no idea how she is doing it.
    she can't fly out, the entire run is covered in netting, I have checked and rechecked for holes around the run.
    It really has me perplexed, hopefully this weekend I will catch her in the act.
    My only concern is the numerous redtails we have.
  2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I hope you find out how she's doing it! [​IMG]
  3. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Wow, I wonder how shes doing that...
  4. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she has a co-conspirator---a jokester who enjoys seeing you do a double-take when you get home.

Set up a hennie cam!
  5. Oopoo

Oopoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    time for video
  6. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    I had a girl push out the bottom of the door that used to be tight. The latch was on top and the wood sticks in winter so I did'nt pay much attention. But this spring we caught her just pushing her way through at the bottom. I now have two latches.
  7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Please post a picture of her...
  8. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Yes... please... lets see little miss smarty-pants! [​IMG]
  9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Is her name Houdini? [​IMG]
  10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Update, so last night I get home and she is not out.
    I give them a little scratch like every evening and then go back to the house to clean their water pan. As I am going back to the chicken coop her she comes running and stops at my feet with a look like "see I can still do it".
    I am hoping tomorrow morning when I sit out on the patio and enjoy my coffee and chicken tv that I will find out how she is doing it.
    Like I said in my original post my concern is all the redtails we have. Last night about an hour before dusk I let the chickens run around the yard and after about 15 minutes they all scattered and sure enough a hawk made a swoop. The exact reason I stay outside when I let them run around the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by