One Cornish Cross chick is smaller and is starting to have splayed legs - 2 wks old today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tananaBrian, May 31, 2012.

1. tananaBrian

tananaBrian In the Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Hi,

Of the 25 cornish crosses that I got this year (first time with meat birds), one of them is half-sized at 2 wks old and had legs slightly splayed out. This one walked and moved normally, but has always be a "sit around chick", not as active as the others. I assumed there was something wrong and it'll die soon ...but no, other than size, it appears healthy. Then today I noticed that its legs are starting to splay out. I can run around, but the legs stick out at 45 degrees (or a little less) to each side. Now I wonder if it's small because movement was difficult afterall, that its not getting enough food and water? Don't know? Any chance it could be a cornish game hen rather than a cornish cross? I think I'll cut a bandaid in two and tape up the legs as per usual for splayed-leg chicks, but I wonder what to do about this chick? Let it grow? Assume something's wrong and kill it now? Seems mean, but all of those chickens are going to be slaughtered at 6 weeks (half of them) and 7 weeks (the rest of them)... Anyone have comments on this strange little chick???

Thanks,
    Brian

2. kfacres

kfacres Songster

Jul 14, 2011
    Normal for bad legged CX birds.. give it another 2 weeks and it will be completely crippled.

At that age-0- you have what they call a Cornish game hen-- butcher it and enjoy it... Gives me a good reason to start killing them at 4 weeks old around here.!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: