One Cull Cockerel

I've held onto Yellow a week or two longer than I should have been feeding him between bad weather, lack of convenient setup (as of Saturday we have some scrap metal to make killing cones), and a final nibble on the Craigslist ad (I said, "Yes, I have one left" but there was no response to that message).
You can go to Lowes or Home depot and buy a street cone for $10 or you can cut a 2 gallon plastic pot and zip tie it to form a cone. For large chickens (10lbs) you need at least a 4 inch hole on bottom and 12 inch on top.
Get a good grip on its head and slice the jugular under the ear, cut right below the jar bone and tilt the head, so the blood don't go on your hand. Hold the head until it stops kicking and then pull down to dislocate the head.
I put a 5 gallon bucket lined with a trash bag under the cone to catch the blood and head. The blood turns into jello after it sits. I tie it off and put in freezer with the guts and wait until rubbish day, so it doesn't stink up the rubbish can..
I have a one to two chicken feather plucker from Hatch Time, Its water proof, easy to clean, and light weight. However, it has a very small motor, so the chicken get stuck if I don't cut the joint on its leg. I leave the leg joint attached, so the tumbler removes the skin on the feet. The feet adds gelatin and flavor to the stock. There are stronger feather pluckers for the same price on the market, so its best to do some research before buying anything.
DSCN0315.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom