One day I will size the Panic Door correctly

I am only on my 2nd time raising from arrival in my coop. I let them out with the hens last Sunday at 4 1/2 weeks old. They are doing well, but still going in their brooder at night. I think it's time to tear it down. Things have been complicated a bit by 2 broody hens that insist on mothering almost 6 week old chicks. 1 was broody since right before the chicks arrived & one was never broody in her life. They try to gather the chicks & insist on sitting under the roost where the big chickens sit. They both now go to the roost when the littles head to their brooder. If I disassemble the brooder, they could go to a cleaner area of the coop to sit. Did anyone ever have a broody try and mother chicks at almost 5 weeks old? Hope they wean them soon, LOL. I love this method & I use a brooder plate.

We hatched mottled OEGB last night. Not counting my chicks before they hatch but we are looking like 100% hatch. 12 went into lockdown, 10 in the brooder, 1 is 3/4 way zipped and last one pipped. They are sharing the brooder with week old lavender Ameraucana bantams. The Ameraucana are showing them the ropes about where the food, water and heat are.
3E832155-594C-482C-8C18-1EF30ADBB841.jpeg
A8491757-EA20-43D9-8B15-465D7A637C71.jpeg
E3C08620-ACBC-41D1-9771-226FEC32F4C5.jpeg

I went with someone dimensions for panic/portal doors.....4 1/2".
Luckily I set them up before moving the chicks in, several of my slimline hens made it thru easily.
3 1/2" ended up being the magic number.
Mine usually end up being around 3" wide, though it varies as I set it up each morning. I have all standard size birds though a few are slim in build.,

After seeing chicks run through the 2" wide chain link fence openings in the fence dividing my run halves, I figure anything that size or larger is enough to provide safe access for young chicks. They get too big for those openings around 7 to 8 weeks but by then they don't really need them any longer.

Back
Top Bottom