one day old and hungry

MaryFrances

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Clarkesville, GA
I tried to catch a wild hen and her one-day old chicks at work today, and in doing this one of the little ones got separated. I was not able to catch them. The one that got separated got very cold
sad.png
before I found her and warmed her up.
smile.png
I couldn't get her back to the mama hen for the night. I had thought she was definitely a goner, but I held her and felt the life coming back into her. I'm home now and don't know what I might have for this little one to eat. I have raw rolled oats and sunflower seeds, and things like crackers or bananas. I can buy some food in the morning. I'm giving her water from a dropper. She is making a racket now but is still shaky on her feet. Should I give her sliced up oats, sunflower seeds or banana, or just wait for the morning? Saltine crackers seem like a bad idea. Help!

sad.png
I sure wish I could advise you, but I'm too new at this to try. I'm sure someone will post a good reply for you quickly though. Things move pretty fast here. Good luck with your new little one, I'm glad you were able to save her.

If you know for sure she's only 1 day old, just make sure she has water to get her through the night.

As far as what you mentioned, if you give her oats or bananas or whatever, you'll also need to give her grit (sand or granite/rocks crushed into powder) because she'll need a way for her body to crunch up the food.

If you really feel like you need to feed her, give her some plain yogurt or boiled egg yolk. Remember to keep her warm (95 degrees). Give her a cuddly too ... they seems to live longer when there's someone with them. Even an old clean towel snuggled against the side of the box would be comforting.

ETA: Glad you could rescue the chick. Good luck!

Last edited:
She definitely needs chick starter feed.

Maybe try boiling an egg and giving her the yolk only.

And she needs light to be around 95 degrees for the first week.

You must be very careful what you feed her.....

Someone with more experience needs to chime in.

Hard boiled egg, peel it and fork it up real good. Drop it over it's head onto the floor and it will start to peck at it. It will drink water from a low plate but they can drown so watch out what you use.

Give her a mirror too so she thinks there is another chick. Make sure she is warm enough. If you have a feather duster put it with her as well, she will think it is mama. I think if you found her mom again, she would probably reject her after spending time apart. I don't know if chickens have a sense of smell but, I think little orphan Annie is yours now. I think people on BYC have suggested baby parrot food from a pet shop if you can't locate chick starter soon enough. They do usually like lowfat plain yogurt once they get brave enough to try it, and mashed egg yolk (watered down a bit so easier to eat). Good luck with her.

Where are you located, because there are a lot of BYChickeners who have small ones that could take her in
if you can't find the moma......

Last edited:
I think I can find the mama tomorrow...in gainesville georgia. would she survive the night in my sports bra? I live in a one room studio, which I share with two cats. I happen to have hard boiled eggs. I've been giving her water from a dropper. She is thirsty! She may have gotten some grit with her mama today, they roamed the yard at work for a few hours. I had to run errands and drive home so she's been comfortably in my bra. No one's heard her yet; visited my father but he's deaf!
She is very wobbly on her feet but I did see her walk some before leaving work. She needs more strength to be able to keep up with mama and 7 sibs in the yard at the office. She was almost gone and it was incredibly cool to feel the life coming back to her. (or him)

I'm getting the idea I won't sleep if I don't keep her with me. She has lungs. The egg yolk worked beautifully. I'm going to give her a lot to drink then just go to sleep. I do hope the mama will take her back, I was worried about that!!! She looks like the other ones....I'll give it a try tomorrow. May have to hang a bucket from the ceiling if I have to keep her for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom