One day old chick w/ broken leg, please help!

ataylor995

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2015
My chick just hatched yesterday and I can tell that it's leg is broken. It won't stand up, it's foot it always kept close to the body, and will not walk. I've had to separate it from the others, but I have no idea what to do next. Please help me :(

Sorry, it's a little blurry, but you can see the left leg is bent right where the fur stops. I'm new to this, this was my first hatch, so I have no idea what the difference is between it being broken and spraddled. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it :(

Okay, so I looked around and judging from the pictures and posts that people have put on here, it seems to be a slipped tendon. I'm going to get some vet tape today and try to treat it with that. Will put an update later

Update on baby chick:
We managed to fix her leg and wrap it with vet tape, however, whenever I got up and checked on her this morning, she wasn't doing so well. I picked her up and she was completely limp, wasn't chirping, and seemed to be gasping for air. I removed her cast from her leg and not long after this, she passed away in my hands. I'm sad, but not too upset because I know that I did what I could for her and gave her a chance, which is a lot more than what some people would have done. She is buried outside next to my boyfriends cat and dog that are no longer with us, so she is in good company. :)

Back
Top Bottom