One dead and one with a hole in its head!!

Stephietisme

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
Went to check on my young flock of birds (about 2 months old and 27 total) and found one dead and one with a serious hole in its head. The dead one had no holes in its head just looked like its rear end was eaten off. The other was hiding in a corner:( i cleaned her off and brought her inside. Sprayed her head with a wound spray. She has food and water. Looks like there may even be cracks in her skull:( any suggestions on anything else i can do for her? Maybe silver in her water or any pain meds i can give her? Ill be surprised if she makes it but hopeful. No idea how to tell who caused this, but my only guess is the larger roosters or hens🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 15989165312462443012383655138608.jpg
    15989165312462443012383655138608.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 25
They were in a secure run. I was thinking maybe there is a way a weasel got in, but then there is the one with the hole in its head which makes me think it was pecking.. maybe out of boredom? I added some scratch blocks hoping to keep them entertained while cooped up.

They were in a secure run. I was thinking maybe there is a way a weasel got in, but then there is the one with the hole in its head which makes me think it was pecking.. maybe out of boredom? I added some scratch blocks hoping to keep them entertained while cooped up.
How large is your run? How large is your coop? (In feetxfeet) What fencing do you use for your run? Hardware cloth, or something else? How many roosters and how many hens?

The run in total is 48' by 10'. I have it split in 2 sections. My babies are on one side and adults on the other. Its under a barn lien thats tin and hardwire cloth. I do have fencing underground about 1'. No signs on something digging in. These birds are young, 27 total and as far as i can tell 2 roosters..but theyre still young. My adult side looked perfect.

We had a fox coming around so theyre not free ranging as much as they usually do. A few of them are much larger than the others, so i may start adding them to the older birds. Augh chicken drama.

All i can suggest is u bring her in clean wound antiseptic spray put some vitamins or honey in her water for a boost keep her warm and keep an eye on shock sorry this happened xx

Back
Top Bottom