One dead hen another lethargic

4chicks

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
I found my 2 year old speckled sussex dead on the floor of the coop 4 days ago- we didn't notice any signs of illness before her death. Two days later we noticed our 3 year old white rock hen was lethargic. We separated her from the others. She does not move and seems to just stand there when I take her out of the cage she is in now. She has not laid an egg in at least 3 days but I do not believe she is eggbound. She drinks water but is not eating her food but she ate the apple cores and bread we gave her yesterday. Her poop was like liquid yesterday but since it is hot here we have been giving the chickens watermelon and this often causes watery poop. Today her poop is more normal consistency with the typical white in it. She lives in a coop with cement floor about 5x5 with 3 other hens (it was 4 but now 3). We have not introduced any new chickens but we do have two 8 week old Salmon faverolles that are living in a cage in the garage until we introduce them. They have not been in direct contact with the ill hen except that we let them play in the adjoining run of another coop approximately 8 days ago and it is possible that the ill hen went into this run after they were in it. The chicks are not ill and the hen that lives in the adjoining coop is not showing signs of illness but she is broody and is not hanging out much in her run. I do not worm and have not seen any signs of worms or mites. I did a thorough cleaning of the coop yesterday. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Is her tail pointed down? What is the color of the comb? Thats a tough one, you may want to take her in to a vet, (if you can find one that does chickens) I ended up taking Millie to work with me and to a bird place that was quite a ways away. I just lost her, I have a post on it entitled 'Lost my Silver Wyandotte Millie'. Im still trying to figure it out. I had another chicken do the same thing as yours, it wouldnt move around at all, but she snapped out of it after a couple of days. Chickens are kind of tricky.

Also Im not sure where you live, but FYI in California they do free chicken autoposies (I hate to sound babaric). I had one done on Millie so I'd at least have a little bit of a clue. Also now I know its not a virus that could affect my other chickens or some kind of a toxin. I just had to pay 35 dollars for shipping. I hope you find out whats going on with your chicken!

Its been a little cooler than usual for this time of year, its been getting down to the 40s at night and in the upper 70s during the day. Thats fine with me, I hate it when it gets above 90 anymore.
Wow I just saw a HUGE raccoon right at my front door, I guess I better make sure I batten down the hatches in the chicken coop as soon as the sun goes down.

I found my 2 year old speckled sussex dead on the floor of the coop 4 days ago- we didn't notice any signs of illness before her death. Two days later we noticed our 3 year old white rock hen was lethargic. We separated her from the others. She does not move and seems to just stand there when I take her out of the cage she is in now. She has not laid an egg in at least 3 days but I do not believe she is eggbound. She drinks water but is not eating her food but she ate the apple cores and bread we gave her yesterday. Her poop was like liquid yesterday but since it is hot here we have been giving the chickens watermelon and this often causes watery poop. Today her poop is more normal consistency with the typical white in it. She lives in a coop with cement floor about 5x5 with 3 other hens (it was 4 but now 3). We have not introduced any new chickens but we do have two 8 week old Salmon faverolles that are living in a cage in the garage until we introduce them. They have not been in direct contact with the ill hen except that we let them play in the adjoining run of another coop approximately 8 days ago and it is possible that the ill hen went into this run after they were in it. The chicks are not ill and the hen that lives in the adjoining coop is not showing signs of illness but she is broody and is not hanging out much in her run. I do not worm and have not seen any signs of worms or mites. I did a thorough cleaning of the coop yesterday. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
You answered your own question: "I do not worm."

Back
Top Bottom