One dead, one dying, one missing..

FlaneryFlock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
I have 3 brown leghorn roosters. About 6 weeks old. This morning my sister woke me to tell me she found one dead, one is in a pet carrier on his way out and the other is completely missing. This is heart wrenching news to me as I loved those little roosters. They were in a stall in the barn getting ready for the coop, there is chicken wire all over the inside of the stall. No snake with a rooster that size could have gotten through it. No feathers or chicken parts are anywhere, even dug in the straw. I have no idea where my missing rooster could have possibly gone. The one in the carrier cannot stand up. He closes his eyes and really curls his neck to go under. Please help me, what can I do to give him a fighting chance?

Where did you find the missing one, had he gotten out of the stall? (Sorry, I need to piece a few things together, I'm not quite understanding the scenario). The stall with the chicken wire, was it over them so they couldn't fly out? Were they in a cage of chicken wire?
Were any of them acting funny before all this went down? How long ago did you transfer them to the barn? What's the temp in there? Is it dusty? Are there other animals in there?The only thing I'm getting so far is that whatever it was, it was contagious (Yes, I know Captain Obvious reporting for duty here). Any more details you can provide would help! I'm certainly not an expert but I may be able to help piece some things together for you/with you.

They all died. It's a horse stall lined with chicken wire. They can fly all over it if they want to. They were in there with a group of the younger chicks, some older some younger. They seemed a little sleepy and lethargic yesterday but I just took it as the dramatic temperature changes here. The two dead ones were found under straw. The sick one died not an hour after I brought it inside. This really upsets me as I had high hopes for these roosters.. They've been in there for about a week. Not dusty. The past few weeks it's been really warm, but after a recent thunderstorm it's been really chilly and windy.

Back
Top Bottom