One died from lice

Paz

Crowing
Jul 15, 2022
The Middle East
My younger birds caught the lice/fleas, I don’t know which one. I only now noticed because of war and lots of work in the farm. They are very light, like they lost all the weight. I put some flea soap on them, but they look sick.
I gave them water with honey, and crushed vitamin pill on their food, and gave them folic acid. Is there anything else I should do to help?
They are 4.5 months old I think. But they could very well be 6 months.

Last edited:
My younger birds caught the lice/fleas, I don’t know which one. I only now noticed because of war and lots of work in the farm. They are very light, like they lost all the weight. I put some flea soap on them, but they look sick.
I gave them water with honey, and crushed vitamin pill on their food, and gave them folic acid. Is there anything else I should do to help?
So sorry for your loss. If you're not sure what they have, take a look at their vent and see what you see there. Pry the feathers apart. If you can't tell and can take a picture, post it. You'll need to get a product specific for killing what they have and it sounds like you're not absolutely sure.

Is their poop looking normal and are they eating okay?

So sorry for your loss. If you're not sure what they have, take a look at their vent and see what you see there. Pry the feathers apart. If you can't tell and can take a picture, post it. You'll need to get a product specific for killing what they have and it sounds like you're not absolutely sure.

Is their poop looking normal and are they eating okay?
Yes, Thor poop is normal, they eat fine

When fighting chicken lice or mites I remove old bedding and replace with pine shavings and diamatacious earth. I hang bags of sulfur near the perch so they dust themselves with it. I use a drop of Ivermectin drench on their neck in the Fall and again in the spring.
I dust the corners of the coop and the nest box in diamatacious earth.
This was a hard year for mites. I had to treat with Ivermectin and wait 6 days and treat again.

Rooster booster or liquid baby vitamins in the water is helpful.

It wouldn’t use flea soap for dogs unless you cleared it with a vet or experienced person. They can’t process the same toxins la dog can.

When fighting chicken lice or mites I remove old bedding and replace with pine shavings and diamatacious earth. I hang bags of sulfur near the perch so they dust themselves with it. I use a drop of Ivermectin drench on their neck in the Fall and again in the spring.
I dust the corners of the coop and the nest box in diamatacious earth.
This was a hard year for mites. I had to treat with Ivermectin and wait 6 days and treat again.

Rooster booster or liquid baby vitamins in the water is helpful.

It wouldn’t use flea soap for dogs unless you cleared it with a vet or experienced person. They can’t process the same toxins la dog can.
No, I’m gonna burn everything inside the coop, it kept them away for a few years. I just need to get the birds out for a couple of days.
The very sick one is now in her own cage, with vitamin and iron supplements. But I haven’t been home since last evening, and I don’t know her condition, but hopefully she is better.

So, she is better, I put her back with her mates, which made her very happy. Tomorrow we will burn it all and spray the birds.

Back
Top Bottom