One duck not laying

Urban Waddler

Songster
May 17, 2018
Minnesota
I have two Pekin Ducks. They hatched on May 5th this year, and at five months old, Loretta, my smaller duck starting laying an egg a day. Whitebeard, who is larger, and was born with a pale beak, has not laid a single egg. I know this because I have a duck cam. I would think she was a drake, but she has no drake feather and quacks loud and often. She doesn’t sound at all like a drake and I would think she would grow a drake feather by five and a half months. She does always seem to be a little slower than Loretta (learns everything after Loretta, lost her yellow feathers a little after, follows Loretta around). They are both on layer feed I see them both eating oyster shell from time to time. Is it possible for two ducks from the same hatch to start laying at such different times? Should I be concerned? Thanks for any replies!

Possibly Whitebeard just hasn't matured as fast as Loretta. As long as she is eating drinking and other wise healthy I don't think their is a reason to worry. She may even wait till spring before she starts. I think since you have one laying and one not that I would cut out feeding layer and go with an all flock feed since you also have oyster shell out too. Non layers shouldn't eat layer. Its too much calcium they don't need. Loretta should do fine on just oyster shell for her extra calcium but if you have a larger amount of layer left you could also mix it half and half that would cut down the calcium Whitebeard is getting.

Possibly Whitebeard just hasn't matured as fast as Loretta. As long as she is eating drinking and other wise healthy I don't think their is a reason to worry. She may even wait till spring before she starts. I think since you have one laying and one not that I would cut out feeding layer and go with an all flock feed since you also have oyster shell out too. Non layers shouldn't eat layer. Its too much calcium they don't need. Loretta should do fine on just oyster shell for her extra calcium but if you have a larger amount of layer left you could also mix it half and half that would cut down the calcium Whitebeard is getting.
Thank You!!! I do have a big bag, so I think I will mix with an all flock feed. Is there a brand you like? I had them on an allflock feed before introducing the layer and they didn’t much care for it.

Back
Top Bottom