1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One duck won't swim

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by siobhan89, Sep 26, 2012.

1. siobhan89

siobhan89 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    I have 2 ducks and just recently the larger of the 2 doesn't like the water anymore if it means they have to swim. S/He is fine if it's just standing in it but any deeoer and it goes into deep sort of panic mode and jumps out/ What can do as the other one is fine and this one always used to be too but over the last week or 2 has changed

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    what kind of "water" are you talking about? A pond? if so the only thing I can think of is that something tried to get it...like a turtle perhaps? If a kiddie pool then I have no idea unless it was a reflection of something? Strange isn't it?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It defiantly sounds like something could have spooked them in the water. However, some ducks just don't like swimming as much as others. I've had a few that would avoid swimming with the others at all costs.

4. siobhan89

siobhan89 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    I live in the UK so we don't see many turtles around here [​IMG]
    It's a paddling pool but he's the same in the bath and even when i'm sat out there with them

5. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Like Kevin said, some ducks just don't like to swim. I've had quite a few that avoid the water for a while, but eventually they will go back in. Although I've had a bantam call duck that avoided water for quite a while because other ducks would pick on him when he would go in. He stopped using the pool so I had to take him out every once in a while to clean his wings. I now have him and 2 of his friends in their own little run with their own coop and he now spends all day in the pool!

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Some just don't like to swim, my one drake(the oldest) rarely ever goes into the pools.. he just doesn't like too, i have a duck that is the same whereas i have some who climb into the water bowls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by