One duckling hatched, other eggs abandoned

Maria66

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 18, 2014
My Welsh Harlequin has been sitting on 16 eggs and three have hatched. When I discovered them three days ago there was one lying dead in the house, one shot out after his mum when I approached, and another was in the nest drying off (not long hatched). The mother is in and out of the house, one duckling is still alive (and seems to be thriving, despite the fact that she doesn’t appear to looking after it very well!), but I’m not sure what to do with the other eggs. I feel that they would have hatched by now if they were going to but she is still going back to sit on them (although I doubt if they will hatch?). Do you think worth putting them in the incubator (if I candle them first) and then seeing if the mother will accept them once they hatch? Or should I just leave her to it?
On another matter, I have another duck who has been sitting (not very well) on eggs for two months now - nothing has hatched, she won’t let me anywhere near to remove them (tries to bite me), but just keeps kicking them out once they’ve gone rotten. She “stole” the nest of eggs from one of my Cayugas but is a hopeless sitter so they never progress. I’m not sure what to do as she is quite aggressive if I try to move her.

Put on gloves and a jacket if you have to but get those rotten eggs out. Talk about a stink once they begin to blow. Don't be scared of a broody duck.

As for the other duck and the duckling have you taken the duckling in so it will survive? and if you want to candle and put the rest of the eggs in the bator go right ahead but she won't see them as hers so you'll be responsiable for caring for these littles.

Gloves and jacket it is - i really need to get her off that nest. I did consider incubating the other eggs but I incubated some last year (after a few years of not doing it) and I hadn’t quite remembered what a challenge it is raising ducklings- they’re soooo messy. Plus we’re going away in two weeks time and I couldn’t leave them with someone else and they’d be too little to put with the other ducks.

Back
Top Bottom