One egg not losing weight- is it just bad?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
So like the title says, I have one egg, out of 18, that just isn’t losing any weight. I candled last night (day 4), and it IS fertile and I can see growth. But the fact it’s not losing any weight concerns me. The others are either right on track, or have lost *slightly* more than target. Should I hold out hope for this one, or just expect that it won’t make it to hatch?

Edit to add- humidity has been around 30-35% so far, and temp a fairly constant 99. I have calibrated everything I use. I bumped up humidity very slightly due to them losing weight a tad too fast. (An average of 1.2% too fast).d

Edit 2: these are chicken eggs. I will try to get a pic tonight!

Last edited:
are these chicken eggs? Duck eggs? What kind of egg? Humidity seems a bit low, temp may be a tad low as well. Pics of the egg in question would also help. Seeing as you said you candles yesterday at day 4 I would give it a few more days and candle again.

So like the title says, I have one egg, out of 18, that just isn’t losing any weight. I candled last night (day 4), and it IS fertile and I can see growth. But the fact it’s not losing any weight concerns me. The others are either right on track, or have lost *slightly* more than target. Should I hold out hope for this one, or just expect that it won’t make it to hatch?
I would mark the egg so you know which one it is, leave it in the incubator, and see how it does.

I read one study where they were weighing individual eggs, and some of the ones that hatched lost VERY different amounts of weight. The estimates for how much weight an egg should lose are based on weighing quite a few eggs at once, and it ends up about right for most of them.

are these chicken eggs? Duck eggs? What kind of egg? Humidity seems a bit low, temp may be a tad low as well. Pics of the egg in question would also help. Seeing as you said you candles yesterday at day 4 I would give it a few more days and candle again.
Chicken eggs! The one in question is a black copper marans, so it’s very hard to see much of anything, but I will try my best to get a pic tonight!

It’s so hard to get a good pic, but here’s the best one I got. It’s hard to see in the pic, but I think I can see the eye!

62448E15-7A0F-44A2-8A46-EE3E71C7429B.jpeg

3C834FA6-40FB-4524-BE56-F78C98DDEE2F.jpeg

Mark it as suggested put it back in. I dry incubate and been watching air pockets. Air pockets in my eggs I figure within range at day 12, humidity now has gone down some for me. I am about 33 to 35 percent humidity. Now I will check again couple days, spot check some eggs.

It’s so hard to get a good pic, but here’s the best one I got. It’s hard to see in the pic, but I think I can see the eye!

View attachment 3090094

View attachment 3090102
It’s possible. I would keep incubating it, seems to be developing. If it were me (I’ve only hatched ducks not chicks though) I’d bump your temp to 99.5 and get your humidity closer to the 45-50% range. Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom