One egg then nothing...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrandmrschicken, Oct 10, 2008.

1. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Last Saturday I picked up my first Serama pullet and cockerel. They are both April hatches. She laid an egg on Monday the 6th but nothing since? Am I doing something wrong?
    She is a little fire plug shaped thing! Very squatty but still small and eats like a horse! Looks as if she has a dozen XXX large grade A eggs in her.
    I feed her layer feed, give her a little oyster shell, and cracked corn. She does not seem to want a nest box, and does not seem uncomfortable.
    She is with the cockerel. Should I seperate them?
    There is no evidence of eggs being eaten. I would know if there was.

2. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    My pullets (I have 5) laid an egg on September 26, then there was nothing until OCtober 5 -- nine days later -- and that's with 5 pullets! Then I got an egg every day for 5 days (no egg today so far).
    My girls were hatched April 19. I am new at this but it sounds to me like you are doing the right things and your girl is just gearing up.
    It's hard waiting after the first egg, though , isn't it?

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

No you aren't doing anything wrong. She is a pullet, and a new layer. She isn't going to lay on command, and nothing will be regular until she gets a little older. Don't rush her, it will happen.

4. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate that. I always want to to what is best. Is there anything I could feed her to help her body develop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by