One Feather Picking/Eating Culprit...What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunnyChic, Jun 17, 2009.

1. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    I have a 5 week old RIR that has developed the bad habit of picking and eating feathers. He is the only one out of eleven that will pick a tail feather and eat it. All the others seek out, scratch & peck just the food & black sunflower seeds. When watching this little guy in the pen, he wanders around, targets a tail, pulls a feather out, eats it, and then hunts for a different tail to pluck. I have separated him (he's in a pet carrier right now & very unhappy). He did this a week ago in another pen, so I isolated him and then put him in this pen with chicks that were a couple of weeks older than him. He was at the bottom of the pecking order and didn't feather pick at first. Now he's back to doing it again. [​IMG] Do I need to cull him? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You've already tried the best remedy I've read about. I would. I'd put him back by himself for about 6 more weeks and fry him; RIR is delicious.

3. You can shorten the top half of his beak so he cannot grip feathers so well.....

Or you can fry him when the time comes.

4. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks for the replies...I guess I'm going to learn how to butcher a chicken sooner rather than later. Thank goodness I just got the book Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens; it tells you exactly what to do. The book also shows you where to shorten up the beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: