One footed hen

TucsonTeddy

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 28, 2011
Has anyone ever had a chicken that had one foot fail to develop and slowly merge with the leg? Mine is a beautiful white Cochin hen who stays outside in a small pen during the day (flat on the grass) and at night sleeps in her box in the house. I can't put her in with the other chickens...and I refuse euthanasia. I wonder if there is any place that makes prosthetic feet?

never seen it in a chicken, but I have seen something similar pop up in what I assume is a result of inbreeding in some barn cats(not our barn... the only cat in ours was fixed years ago)... in the cats, it was usually one or both hind legs that it happened in... the kitten's leg(s) just never grew below the knee, and as the rest of the cat grew, the leg(s) just sort of got absorbed... other than that, the cats always seemed healthy though, if a tad creepy...

Well, why not try making it a foot, and attaching it with vet wrap. That might work......I'll bet members will come along with an idea for the foot.

So crazy it just might work!

What about using a hollow peg, kind of like a pirate's peg leg for the hen......

Wishing you luck!
pop.gif

Interesting. Could you post pics of her foot and her standing so we can see both legs and feet. It helps to be able to have a visual to try to help. Hope with pics someone can give you a great idea.

Quote:
OOOH! and a little eye patch to give her coop cred. Instead of chirping you could teach her to say argggh.
smile.png

I think it's great to hear that your letting your chicken have a full happy life.

Any prosthetists in your area? If so, try contacting one for ideas in making a prosthesis. I know I read an article online where a prosthesis was custom-made for a duck.

check out the website Indoorducks.com Nettie Kossart she makes chicken boots to correct toes maybe if you explain your problem she could come up with something I know her boots work I have seen them in action. I have her addy is you need it.

Back
Top Bottom