1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One footed hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TucsonTeddy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. TucsonTeddy

TucsonTeddy New Egg

Feb 28, 2011
    Has anyone ever had a chicken that had one foot fail to develop and slowly merge with the leg? Mine is a beautiful white Cochin hen who stays outside in a small pen during the day (flat on the grass) and at night sleeps in her box in the house. I can't put her in with the other chickens...and I refuse euthanasia. I wonder if there is any place that makes prosthetic feet?

2. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    never seen it in a chicken, but I have seen something similar pop up in what I assume is a result of inbreeding in some barn cats(not our barn... the only cat in ours was fixed years ago)... in the cats, it was usually one or both hind legs that it happened in... the kitten's leg(s) just never grew below the knee, and as the rest of the cat grew, the leg(s) just sort of got absorbed... other than that, the cats always seemed healthy though, if a tad creepy...

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, why not try making it a foot, and attaching it with vet wrap. That might work......I'll bet members will come along with an idea for the foot.

So crazy it just might work!

What about using a hollow peg, kind of like a pirate's peg leg for the hen......

Wishing you luck! [​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Interesting. Could you post pics of her foot and her standing so we can see both legs and feet. It helps to be able to have a visual to try to help. Hope with pics someone can give you a great idea.

5. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote:OOOH! and a little eye patch to give her coop cred. Instead of chirping you could teach her to say argggh. [​IMG]
    I think it's great to hear that your letting your chicken have a full happy life.

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Any prosthetists in your area? If so, try contacting one for ideas in making a prosthesis. I know I read an article online where a prosthesis was custom-made for a duck.

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    check out the website Indoorducks.com Nettie Kossart she makes chicken boots to correct toes maybe if you explain your problem she could come up with something I know her boots work I have seen them in action. I have her addy is you need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by