one has pipped! These are my home bred mutt eggs!

yeah i know its just my stupid fault for making 100% sure the dog couldnt get near the hatcher. Stupid thing is he has never bothered the previous 4 incubations I have done. THank god he didnt get near the incubator with the ameraucanas and blue orps. I am at work overnight in the ICU tonight and just spoke with my wife who tells me that the little guy/gal i hatched out of the crushed egg is drying off and standing up in the incubator currently so we may have a survivor yet...im going to call it macgyver given what it managed to get out of... and it didnt even have a saftey pin or chewing gum or anything!

I'm glad you have a survivor. I've made my share of mistakes with animals, and I will probably make more. It's part of having animals. I hope your "Cynthia" eggs will cheer you up a bit when they start hatching.

awesome!!!!!!!!!! I have another survivor..sheesh these lil chicks are tough...this one hatched today ( well i hatched it with the toothpick technique as I did with the other survivor) from an egg which had 3 TOOTH HOLES from my dogs mouth!

After he had torn open the hatcher and eaten most of the eggs, he had pulled it out of the wall socket and so the eggs were at room temp when I got to them and still these 2 lil chicks survived. Just amazing. There are 3 other eggs which survived the ordeal at least from the outside view...I will see what happens with them.

My sweet Kate (dog) loves all noises that baby animals make. I can not watch animal planet, because she just can't figure out where the babies are. I can just imagine her hearing the peeping and going crazy just trying to see what was making that noise. Lord knows what would happen.

I sure hope the other 3 hatch out for you, I am sure MacGuiver is going to be quite the special one. You will have to come up with another name for the other little toughy.

my son for whatever reason wants to name the other survivor "gabriel". I have no idea where he came up with that from but thats the chickens name.

On a separate note we put the 3 week old babies including his duckling out into the baby coop last night with 2x 250W heat lamps and I have just checked them and they are all fine. Its 34F outside right now.

doooods!!!!!!!!! the other 3 mutt eggs hatched unfreakinbelievably. So much for needing super rigid humidity in the last 3 days LOL...how bout being mauled by a 100lb boxer, left on the carpet with teeth holes in the shells at room temperature for several hours, then put back in an incubator with low humidity ( for the other eggs which are only at day 11) and then left...all 5 remaining eggs hatched..2 we assisted with the other 3 did their own thing!

Awesome news!

I never get tired of the amazing and wonderous thoughts about life in general when you hear a story like that...

On the one hand, life is SO fragile and precious...and on the other so tough and resiliant!

Congrats - oh, and got to see the pics!!

clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom