1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One hatched. 11 to go. Delay in hatching.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kellysmall87, Jan 14, 2013.

1. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, there is something I didn't think about until it was too late, and that is my hens clutch of eggs being staggered in age. She collected eggs for herself from other hens over the course of a week. She had 12 altogether, and one has just hatched today :) However, I am aware that the other 11 may take longer, and she will need to get up from the nest tomorrow to feed and water her chick. Do I incubate the rest? If so, do I return them to her once they hatched and dried up? Will she accept them if I do this?

Also, it was snowing here last night. I have the hen in the garage separate from the rest of the flock. But the garage is still very cold. Too cold for chicks when they wonder about to get food?

Thanks,

Kelly.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on the chick! Did she add eggs to her clutch after she started sitting? She will probably sit another 2 days, so wait and see how many haven't hatched. Then put the unhatched eggs in the incubator. It wouldn't hurt to get the incubator ready tomorrow already. Just in case! If you hatch some chicks in the incubator you can give them to her and she'll probably accept them. Take the chicks to her and watch her reaction when she hears them cheep. If she calls them you can put them down and let her take over. If she's otherwise wait until she sleeps and slip them under her and then watch her in the morning when she gets up. But she will probably accept them without issues.

For heat, I think they'll be O.K. with mom keeping them warm. I've had hens raise chicks in winter with no problems, but if you can hang a heat lamp in the garage that would be nice for them too. Especially when they start wandering around. Enjoy your chicks!

3. kellysmall87

Hey Sumi!
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yeah she added about 10 after she started sitting- I shouldn't have let her do it. Incubator is at the ready, just in case! They are beautiful chicks. I have two now, a black one and a yellow one. :)
    Chuffed!
    Thanks for the info on the heat, I have a very small heat bulb which I have turned on and it's right by the nest so fingers crossed that is enough. I contemplated bringing the whole nest indoors but I figured if it was warm enough to hatch the eggs the its warm enough to raise the chicks.
    Xx

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Post some pics when they're ready!

5. kellysmall87

Below are the best pics that I can get at the moment. She wouldn't get off them, naturally, so I had to quickly pick her up, snap a pic then she got back on immediately. The yellow one is Hennys chicks, an especially 'special' hen to me, she was the only one to survive a fox attack from the old flock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very proud big momma - this might be her new name :) suits her well!
    She has been very good, and today I had to feed her and water her on her nest as she would NOT get up to eat or drink. There's no poop in the pen so she hasn't been off for two/three days.

[​IMG]

enjoy! I know I am! x

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Cute!! Well done momma hen! Just keep an eye out for that poop when it comes. It's going to be BAD LOL

7. kellysmall87

Oh yes... it will be horrific! :( Haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by