one hatched, need advice!

mamaspider

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
this is day 21 - got one baby a few minutes ago. pipped about 3 today and has only just made it's way out, but I am wondering... There are 26 more eggs, unpipped or hatched, that are now getting jostled around by the wobbly baby. Should I remove it? or try to push the eggs into one corner? and should i pull the vent plugs to help it dry or not? I'm assuming not, for the other eggs, but don't want to do anything bad for this baby...

what to do????

Thanks!

The chick will dry out just fine at the higher humidity. Chicks often play soccer with their unhatched incubator mates and they hatch just fine.

So for now I would leave things alone and pull the chick after a few more have hatched and dried.

This is when experienced BYC folks say " Step Away From the Bator" The babies should not be removed until your hatch is complete or nearly so. When you open the incubator you mess up the temp and humidity and it changes thing necessary for them to hatch out. Once you have 6 or 7 you can quickly remove them to a brooder if they are dry and fluffed out. They are fine in the incubator for at least 24 hours and some have left them longer. Many feel the jostling by the chicks help encourage the chicks to get busy and join their siblings.

thanks. i'm trying to be patient, but... watching him/her clamber all over the eggs last night made me wonder! Baby is still in the bator with the rest of the eggs, and it looks this morning like one more is pipping...

i'll keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom