One hen afraid of Rooster

mando4mary74

Chirping
Aug 24, 2018
I have 5 hens and 1 rooster. He is super great with the girls. Very docile. He does like to mate, but, not overly so. The problem is, I have 4 Isa Browns, and 1 Wyandotte. The poor Wyandotte was broody a while back and I had to remove her and break her. Once I put her back in, she started a mini moult...That seems to be over. But, she is petrified of the rooster. We had 3 roosters and tried every one with the girls on a trial basis. The Wyandotte would attack them all but the one we ended up keeping. Its the other way around. If he even gets near her, she freaks out and starts running like crazy....Is there something I can do to help this situation. She's still off laying since her broody spell and the mini moult. She's eating well and seems active enough, just seems smaller from losing so many feathers. I'm at a loss...Thanks for any advice!

I believe over time she will view him as a non threat. If hes behaving with the other gals over an extended period of time sooner or later she will become more comfy in his presence.

How old are these birds?
Was the Wyandotte afraid of him before she went broody?
She's about 18 months. No she was not afraid of anything or anybody before she was broody. Unfortunately now she has another problem. It appears she has an impacted crop. Trying to help her. She can't catch a break.

Back
Top Bottom