One hen dead, others missing feathers

coloradochickies

Hatching
Dec 19, 2023
Hi, BYC community. We got our chickens last summer and this is our first health scare with the flock.

I’ve noticed a few of our birds looking increasingly raggedy in the last couple weeks. Particularly our Faverolle, Wyandotte, and Brahma, and I actually think our rooster looks a bit off too (pics attached). I’m very sad to say our Brahma died this morning :( she had what looked like a rash where she was missing feathers on her back. It didn’t look bad, but I’m now kicking myself for not taking it more seriously, and also worried her irritated skin and death are connected and might also affect some other birds we have who are missing feathers.

I was thinking about parasites… I did some poop inspections in the run and coop and nothing looks irregular. No one is lethargic (even our hen who died wasn’t, well at least ~12 hours before she died she wasn’t). I inspected our Wyandotte and didn’t see any eggs at the base of her feathers or any bugs on her skin, but I see what look like flecks of dirt—maybe just dirt, but maybe parasite droppings?

I’ve also read overbreeding can be an issue with missing back feathers, but we have 9 hens and 1 roo. That said our more dominant/bossy hens look normal, which could indicate overbreeding of the lower pecking order girls?

I am going to keep researching and reading through posts on here, but any advice is MUCH appreciated in the meantime.

I’ve attached a few images—happy to provide more. Thank you 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    961.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    905.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    707.3 KB · Views: 2
This does look like it could be from over-breeding. I have 1 rooster and 9 hens and my rooster seems to have his favorites. Specifically 2 of my Wyandotte hens and my 1 Buckeye hen.

The irritation you saw could have been from sun exposure and the black specks could have been dirt from dust bathing.

I do not know what could have caused her death, I doubt it could have been over breeding. The only way to know would be a necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom