1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One hen hasn't laid an egg in two weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meandthegirls, Nov 27, 2012.

1. meandthegirls

meandthegirls Out Of The Brooder

I'm new to the wonderful world of chickens, and just want to know what is normal. I have 4 hens, 2 Ameraucanas and 2 Silver Laced Wyns that are about 7 months old. About 2 weeks ago my Ameraucana (Dumpling) stopped laying eggs. The others have slowed down to 3 a week, but have not stopped laying.

There is no sign of molting or physical problems with her. However she doesn't seem as perky as the other hens. I'm not noticing others being mean to her, but she doesn't sleep on the perch with the others anymore and is always in the outskirts when the chickens are in the yard. Is she being ignored because she isn't laying? Is she depressed? Is there something I should be concerned about?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes it is normal for them to take breaks. With the shorter days it is even more likely. The non production breeds like Ameraucans can take a couple weeks at a time. My EE lays for a couple of weeks then takes a break for a week or two. It sounds like she is the low hen in the pecking order, they often hang by themselves.

3. meandthegirls

meandthegirls Out Of The Brooder

Thank you for your response and advice...sometimes it's hard to figure out what is going on in the coop. The pecking thing is weird. I believe that Dumpling was #2 in the pecking order and Alfreda was #4 (being picked on and "pecked" on and sleeping off the perch) and now Dumpling is off the perch ...I guess they are no different than kids.

My husband had a funny perspective. I was feeling sad for Dumpling and worried and he responded, "She just moved in to management! Doesn't have to work (lay eggs) and isn't hanging out with those in a lower position! Heck, she is sleeping inside now and the others are still out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by