One Hen Having a Tough Time Integrating Into Flock

tef6774

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
TL:DR - Should I let my submissive chicken "tough" it out or should I take more measures?

We recently merged two flocks together using appropriate methods. Same age / Same size. About 20 weeks not laying yet. They seem to be doing well together. They have been unsupervised for about a week together with no major issues. However, there is one hen who is extremely submissive and skittish. Our original flock members who are not dominate by nature have started to peck her rather sharply and establishing dominance over her. I wouldn't go far as calling it bullying because they do not actively seek her out and if she runs away they (tend) to let her get away after a quick chase and leave her alone. However, the pecks are quite hard to the back of the neck. No blood. Two or three is enough to send her scurrying. This morning I noticed she got caught in a corner, they towered over her, no pecking, but did not really let her leave. She has resigned her self to comfortable corner of the run under the coop during the day and venturing out when things cool down. They tend to leave her alone, but if my flock migrates in there they chase her away with some pretty rough pecks. They roost well together and there are no issues inside, but she is not super excited to leave in the morning and join the rest.

Her flock mates (the ones she came with) at times stick up for her and are nice to her aside from a quick peck over food. She typically stays with them and my original flock tends to leave her alone then. It is just when she is alone they tend to team up a bit on her. One of my original chickens is definitely the instigator. She does not seek her out but is pretty sensitive to her whereabouts when she is out and about in the run.

Here is my question and I know there are a lot of opinions on this subject. I can't help to feel bad about the one who is getting "bullied" but I also understand that chickens do have a pecking order and it is just a hard fact of life. Should I let it play out and let her tough it out on her own or should I be taking more measures? I know that the submissive one will be rather uncomfortable during the process. I know I can remove the "bully", but I don't really have the equipment to house her. I have a small(er) dog crate and can keep her in the garage, but I am also wondering if I am doing more harm than good by not letting her adjust "naturally," albeit it might be difficult for her. TIA

I know how you feel. I have a silkie named Penny and there is a dominate hen who pecks her and she takes off running. To make things worse, my rooster already wants to mate with her. I don't think you should separate the bully because she would be alone and in a very small living space. All I can do for my girl is give extra loving and snuggles so she knows I love her and as much as it is aggravating and heartbreaking, you kind of have to let it go. It's really good though that she has other flock mates that look after her. I hope this helps some and good luck with whatever you decide.

This is where some pin-less peepers can really help smaller set ups. Often times it just gets you over the rough spot. Add them to the more aggressive birds, and see if it does not calm down the whole flock.

The thing is, this much aggression is not good for the whole flock, even the ones not being attacked. The attacking just leads to tension in the flock. And it is ugly to watch and destroys your enjoyment of the flock. So no, I would want something else.

It might be you need to measure your set up, might be you have a bird too many in the space you have. Do you have hide outs, and multiple feed bowls, those too can help. A cluttered run can actually give you more space, and birds can get away from each other. You can try pulling the victim or the main bully, see how the flock acts.

I would want to do something, I try and solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom