One Hen Sleeping in Nesting Box

I'll put in my 2 cents here, if that's ok
wink.png

If you decide to add another roost, perhaps try using a 2x4 (flat, 4" side facing upwards) with the corners smoothed down a bit. Makes for a nice, secure roost with more space for the girls to keep their feet warm in the winter.

Also, I have one hen who simply prefers to sleep in her nest box. I have no problem with that. I let my girls decide for themselves what is most comfortable for them. If another hen wants to use that box, the two girls will sort it out.

With the younger birds it often takes a while for them to figure out their system and what works within the pecking order.

Enjoy!
I'll absolutely take your 2 cents. Greatly appreciate any input. I'm in love with my peeps and want the very best for them!!!

I opened the big door last night and they are definitely crowded. Pearl was in her nesting box and one other hen was on the floor near her. Maybe she just likes the nesting box like your girl?

The coop currently has 2x4's with the 4" facing upward. When we add another roost it will also be a 2x4. I read their toes can get frost bite when wrapped around a rod/pole and we certainly don't want that!

Thank you for sharing!

Hi

Was really interesting to read all the comments here. My hens generally prefer to sleep in their nest boxes-sometimes two squeezing in together:) Now and again they will roost but they don't seem to have a set routine or a set nest box.

I have six; three ex batts a white leghorn and two brown warans , and three black silkies-two miniature. Sometimes one of the silkies cuddles up with one of the big girls. Seems to work
yippiechickie.gif

We added an extra board across the middle. I was so excited to check at night. Guess what? Now Pearl has a buddy in her nesting box...Mabel has decided she likes to snuggle with Pearl. And they are so cute!!!

Guess these girls are gonna sleep where ever they want.

I'm being told now that Pearl is a roo... is it normal for a roo to sleep in a nesting box? We do have one obvious rooster.

Updated pic of Pearl:

Obvious rooster Harvey:

Harvey is becoming a bit aggressive towards mama hen. He's being rehomed tomorrow. Will Pearl begin to assert himself once Harvey isn't around anymore? Pearl doesn't crow (yet) and is very timid.

I'll put in my 2 cents here, if that's ok
wink.png

If you decide to add another roost, perhaps try using a 2x4 (flat, 4" side facing upwards) with the corners smoothed down a bit. Makes for a nice, secure roost with more space for the girls to keep their feet warm in the winter.

Also, I have one hen who simply prefers to sleep in her nest box. I have no problem with that. I let my girls decide for themselves what is most comfortable for them. If another hen wants to use that box, the two girls will sort it out.

With the younger birds it often takes a while for them to figure out their system and what works within the pecking order.

Enjoy!
I am a softy when it comes to my flock's "well being" and after seeing how tough it gets inside the coop at roosting time, I don't mind too much if one of my hens decides to sleep in a nesting box. Right now I have one that is doing just that, I would prefer for her to sleep on the roosting box but she is low in the pecking order and she is pecked a lot by the others so I let her be. Now I have to clean the nesting box very early in the morning before they start laying eggs so they won't get contaminated.

Hi folks from sunny Ireland.
I'm new to chickens and need a little help with my 3 chickens, they are also sleeping in nest boxes at night, I have blocked of boxes late evening to encourage them to us bars to sleep, is this the right thing to do?

welcome-byc.gif

Can you give us a description of your coop, better if you can post some pictures.

There are several reasons for hens or pullets to sleep in the nesting boxes, two that I can think right from the top of my head are: one that they don't like the bars you have in their coop. Two, that your nesting boxes are higher than the bars. Chickens like to roost in the highest places they can find because it makes them feel safer. Also if your bars are round they have to be very wide because unlike other birds like parrots for example, chickens spend most of the time in flat areas (ground) so when they perch it is better to have a board like a 2x4 (with the 4" side where they can place they feet to rest.
Are all of your 3 chickens sleeping inside the boxes? if it is one or two, you might have a "bully" problem.The ones that are being bullied sleep in the boxes because the bully doesn't let them perch. If this is the case, you need to add more roosts so everyone will have a chance. Blocking the nesting boxes at night is a good idea but it will be better if you can figure out why they don't like the bars, or lower your boxes if higher than bars or find out if there is a bully amongst them.

Good Luck!

That sounds about right, the bars are below the nesting area. So tomorrow I'll raise them and see.
Yes they are all sleeping in boxes, sometimes two to a box(nice and snug).
Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom