One Hen Two Eggs

suensmitty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Stockton, CA
W have a 4 1/2 month old Cornish X hen and rooster. Our hen started laying eggs about 3 weeks ago. The first 3 or 4 she laid had thin shells. Now she's laying some nice brown ones. I checked her nesting box when I got home from work today and she hadn't laid an egg which surprised me because she lays pretty consistently. She wasn't acting like herself. She was very quiet. Usually she's just talking up a storm. My husband and I left for a bit and when we returned she was walking really slow and she was puffed up. She walked away from us and stopped and just laid an egg. The shell was thin. I went in the house for about 20-30 minutes and then went outside to see how she was and there was another egg. Again with a thin shell. She did not lay them in her nesting box which was strange. After she laid the eggs she started acting like herself again, striking up a conversation with me and my husband.

I heard that hens don't lay more than one egg a day. Mine laid two within a half an hour. Should i be concerned?? Is there something wrong with her?

Thanks in advance!!

Occasionally their system gets backed up for one reason or another and they end up laying 2 very close together. I watched an EE hen lay 2 eggs an hour apart once. She should be fine, although I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't lay tomorrow. However, if she's laying a lot of soft shelled eggs you will need to supplement her with extra calcium.

Yours is not known for it's egg laying ability, but yes- normally a healthy hen will lay an egg a day or every other day as they get older. Thin shells is usually a sign of calcium deficiency or inability to mobilize it to form a nice shell, or sometimes something wrong with the shell gland itself. What does she eat? What probably happened is that two yolks were released together and both moved down the repro tract, or she was having trouble moving one out (thin/soft shells are harder for them to push out)- and the other one came along and helped get the first one moving again. It is all speculation, but yes- two eggs can come out of a hen close together. As she is a meat bird, do not expect her to be able to perform well long term (egg laying or otherwise). Is she a pet?

We feed her Purina Layena and she always has oyster shells. She had been laying some hard shelled brown eggs until today. Yes, she and the roo are our pets and I know they don't live very long and are not the best layers but their personalities are something else. I get a kick out of them every day!!

Quote:
I always have a hard time butchering my meaties b/c of their adorable personalities. And the way the come running across the yard when they see me. I know it's only b/c I look like a walking feed sack to them, but it's so cute!

I would like to believe they're running to me because they love me but I know better! They love their food more than anyone or anything!

Quote:
My young Saxony duck has, on several occasions, lain 2, and once even 3 eggs in a day. She will skip a day or two before performing this unusual feat, but she always appears happy and healthy. Shells are nice and hard, too. I Know it's her laying them, because my only other duck, an Appleyard, lays a white egg.

Back
Top Bottom