One-Legged Chick

I'm sorry to hear the chick didn't make it, but like you said maybe it wasn't meant to live. I can imagine life would've been a bit of a challenge for it.

We get occasional power cuts as well
I work in IT and picked up an old HP R3000 UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) several years ago.
I have it in my garage it takes only a nominal amount electricity to keep the batteries charged and is rated at 3KW
many UPS are highly efficient >95%. when online
It must be at least 10 years old yet the batteries are still working well

It is an inline device in other words you plug it in to the mains and then you plug the things you want to protect directly in to the UPS outlets
I have one of the rings in the garage running from it but I also use it via several extension leads if I need some emergency power in the house.
What that basically means is we can run our two fridge freezers from it and if there is a power cut, there is absolutely no interruption to the power at all.

I even lob in in my trailer from time to time when I want mains voltage at the bottom of the field as it saves running great length of extension cables all over the place.
It gives me a good 45 minutes with the electric chain saw!

I have had over 10 hours out of it running the freezers and my work laptop

One would run an incubator or heat lamp safely during a power cut for a good few hours.

APC models are fairly cheap, people normally sell them off after about three years as then the batteries are not 100% but will still give adequate output for lower loads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC-Smart...erruptible_Power_Supplies&hash=item1c2e275ad1

Back
Top Bottom