one legged chickens?

msshepherdess

Chirping
15 Years
Feb 17, 2007
If I can't get my hens to start using their injured leg, will they be able to survive? They hop around on one leg in the cage and use their wing for balance. Should I give up? (see earlier post)

I have heard that one legged birds can survive if given the proper care. If you can take her to a specialty vet they might be able to put a knob on it. Which is like a fake leg for her. I've seen it done with parrots but not chickens yet.

My mom had a one legged rooster as a child. It lived quite well, until it got to heavy to support itself and then well....they had it for dinner.
hmm.png
roll.png

I'm in the same situation. Lets try to figure something out to help our girls and others in the future. Mine are pets so culling them is out of the question unless they are in pain. Right now I have mine in the coop by herself and with the others at night. If you have friendly chickens they will encourage her to try to move. Mine help her until I feed and then they peck at her thats why I have her by herself during the day. I am going to call my horses vet later and talk to him but there are no vets around here that will work on chickens. I'll keep you posted and please do the same

Back
Top Bottom