1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one less roo but sad son

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by taprock, Nov 30, 2010.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Duke the rooster is on his way to a new home. My son is upset because Duke was one of the first chicks he named. However he decided on which roosters to keep so the rest have to go. He gets to go with me to drop him off so hopefully everything goes well.

[​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Just one more of lifes lessons! He will be a better person for having loved a pet and found it a good home!

3. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:Growing up is hard. [​IMG]

Hopefully, going along and seeing the roo's new home will help make the transition a bit easier for your son.

Been through this a couple of times with my sons, too.

Empathetically,

Patches

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    That's an incredible picture of your handsome boy and his equally handsome rooster. It's hard, but it also part of life. He'll be ok. So many people coddle their children and never teach them real life lessons. There are disappointments in life, and yet we survive. Maybe in a week let him call over to the new owner and check on how he's doing. Once he hear's he living the good life he'll be able to accept it better.

5. taprock

We took Duke to his new home and came home with a new EE hen. My son has an EE rooster and very much wants a girlfriend for her. The wonderful lady that took our rooster heard and told him he could take one home with him. A very gentle hen that rode home on his lap in the car. It was a great lesson for him that by doing something that is difficult you are rewarded in unexpected ways.

6. ajaldridge

ajaldridge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    FORSYTH, GA
    [​IMG] That was so sweet! Isn't that the way it is suppose to go though? You get rid of one chickie only to get one or two more in return!

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Must post a pic!

8. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:times 2!

9. taprock

Here is the new Chicken who's name is now Mrs. Fuzzy Cheeks. She is very gentle and will fly up and roost on his shoulder.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by