One Lonely Hen Left - What do I do!?

Garie

Chirping
Jun 19, 2009
I used to have two white leghorn pullets, about 3 months old. This morning (on my 18th birthday!), I find out that one of them had been eaten by a cat during the night
sad.png

The one lonely chicken left looks distraught. All she does is sit next to the tree where my other hen was taken.

I feel horrible! I know I need to get her some companions, but I only have access to week old chicks at the nearby petstore. I'm thinking of buying two baby chicks, then integrating them with the older one when they're large enough. I don't know what to do about my lonely older chicken in the meantime.

What should I do!?!

Aaaw, I'm sorry you lost a pullet, and that your remaining girl is alone.....my best advice is to give her lots of TLC and maybe some treats....clover flowers, yogurt....

Others on this site will have good info. for you about buying chicks and integrating them. The 3 mo. age gap might not be so bad when they get a little older and even out in size.

You might also check craigslist for pullets of the same age....or contact a local 4-H kid that might have pullets already started?

It's a good idea to quarantine any new pullet you get for 30 days to make sure they aren't sick....

Good luck.....

Can you raise them in a brooder in the coop with the older hen? Three months isn't that old, perhaps in a month or so you could integrate them with the older one. She would like having other chickens around, even if they are separated by wire, and it will make the introduction easier. If you only have the one pullet, and want to get another one the same age, I wouldn't bother with quarantine--just take it really slow with the introduction.

I'm sorry you lost your chickie.
sad.png

if it helps any, I know mt. healthy at least had 17 pullets available. but craigslist or someone here might have some one to keep her company.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom