One Lucky Ducky!!!*Pic Heavy*

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
Well, as I posted already, Meade had babies earlier this week. When we got home Wednesday after work she had a 6th and had brought the whole family out into the duck run for some sunshine. Hooray, right!? Well I decided to go check out how many eggs DIDNT hatch and when I walked into the stall I could see 5 eggs. As I got closer, I realized that one has a good half-inch hole in it, and a little beak! Well I immediately got sad for the poor ducky that didnt make it. I began picking up the ice-cold eggs, and when I picked up his he moved!!! Not much, I could tell he'd been stuck for a long time because he had fly eggs all over him and the membrane was very dry. I ran to the house with him, wrapped the egg in a hot, damp rag, and after about 4 minutes he began to really get active and peep! He was so tired that I ended up helping him hatch. He didnt have yolk hanging out, his belly button was totally healed over, so he was ready just couldnt do it alone. I gothim all cleaned up and watered (he was thirsty about 30 minutes after hatching and drank a lot) and snuggled him in the brooder with some plastic easter eggs and a clotth diaper nest on an old towel. He spent 2 nights in the house with us, lots of time on our chests watching TV, and I brought him out this morning to a VERY happy momma who whisked him right into the rest of the kids and took off for their morning walk. She hissed at me a few times like I had stolen him and proceeded to dote like a good momma. Hooray for our happy story!
Here he is this morning, right before going out with Momma.
17526_june2009_179.jpg

And here he is hatching
17526_june2009_166.jpg

17526_june2009_172.jpg

17526_june2009_176.jpg

We named him Lucky - of course.

Last edited:
Aww! Lucky sure is lucky. I'm so glad you went out there when you did and that you were able to intervene. Here's to wishing you and Lucky lots of fun!

I thought Momma would attack him since he smelled like me (hes been basically living in the crook of my neck for 48 hours) but she came over all angry at me and scooped him under her and then walked him over to meet his siblings. I watched for 15 min to be sure she wasnt going to flip a switch and she was great! I am so happy it worked out!

Back
Top Bottom