one more duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hatchcrazzzy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    how many drakes to hens

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    In call ducks I use 1 drake to 5 hens......(I keep 4 drakes and only 12 hens) But, I will breed each hen twice a season with different drakes.......once in spring and again in summer. In wood ducks or Mandarins it's 1 to 1. In mallards, I try to keep 2 drakes in with 8 hens. If you have a heavy duck (pekins or roeuns) I'd have 1 drake to no more than 3 hens.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Trios seem to work best. My current breeding ducks are 4 females and 7 males. That's yoru typical 'straight run'. [​IMG]

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely no less than two hens per drake (really only if you're keeping them separate in trios), but it's better to have 4-6 per drake -everyone will be happier.

If you're looking for fertilized eggs (for selling/breeding, etc) than keep them in trios, or keep the ratio a bit lower (but no less than two ducks to a drake!), especially if you raise a heavier breed.

If you're just looking for eggs for eating you don't need drakes at all.

5. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

100% agree with mlheran!

6. lannabun

lannabun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    indiana
    i agree with trios but right now i am a few shy of that and all of mine are runin together so with i belive 16 i have lest say 7 to 8 males in there .. dang now i wornder lol ill have to count .. but as of right now all is fine and has been but spring when breeding ill have thier own pens ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by