1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of 7 chicks continues to pull out other chicks feathers and eats them, sometimes causing others

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katieharris18, Apr 11, 2017.

1. katieharris18

katieharris18 New Egg

Jun 13, 2014
    Corvallis, OR
    This is my second small flock ever, so I am still kinda new. I bought six chicks but had to go to another store for this particular breed I wanted. Ever since I introduced this new chick she has been constantly pulling out the others feathers. Now its been maybe 2 weeks and she continues to do this despite my efforts to give them more space, add more protein to the diet, and make the heat lamp further from the cage so it isnt hot. She hasnt caused bleeding lately like she was in the beginning, however, I am now seeing her eat the feathers.
    I am torn, because separating her may cause her much stress, but I dont want the others to become like her and to continue to suffer the constant pecking....

What should I do?!

-Katie

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Could you make a barricade in the brooder so she has to stay on her side . She could see them but not be able to yank their feathers out. That would be less stressful than giving her time outs in a crate. You could also post at "Chicken Behaviors & egg laying."

Sometimes switching to a red bulb for the lamp quiets them down - maybe she is just hyper.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by