One of broodys eggs cracked week before hatching:(

PlymouthRocky504

Chirping
Aug 4, 2020
UK
Just went to check my BO as she’s expecting chicks next week after sitting on them for two weeks, and unfortunately found one of the 4 eggs which all are growing inside cracked and a dead chick inside :(

don’t know how it happened or if when moving the eggs she accidentally stood on one and cracked it, luckily the other 3 eggs are still all good but very sad to loose one when seeing the chick already formed inside,

should I do anything to prevent it again or is this just an unlucky thing that can happen when hen is hatching chicks?

Just went to check my BO as she’s expecting chicks next week after sitting on them for two weeks, and unfortunately found one of the 4 eggs which all are growing inside cracked and a dead chick inside :(

don’t know how it happened or if when moving the eggs she accidentally stood on one and cracked it, luckily the other 3 eggs are still all good but very sad to loose one when seeing the chick already formed inside,

should I do anything to prevent it again or is this just an unlucky thing that can happen when hen is hatching chicks?
sometimes my broody accidentally steps on the eggs when returning to her nest, she’s a bantam and not all that heavy, so she hasn’t cracked one yet. But I can see a larger bird (especially a BO) cracking an egg pretty easily if they stood on one...

sometimes my broody accidentally steps on the eggs when returning to her nest, she’s a bantam and not all that heavy, so she hasn’t cracked one yet. But I can see a larger bird (especially a BO) cracking an egg pretty easily if they stood on one...
Yes it’s a real shame it’s happened but just an unlucky event

Back
Top Bottom