One of my 6 week old pullets appears to have spraddle leg and curled toes

Ana Robin

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2014
HI, all.

We've researched the curing of spraddle led/curled toes but mostly what we are finding is info about day old chicks. We didn't notice this problem until it was quite obvious, as we've raised 3 different rounds of chicks without ever having run into this. Our White Leghorn pullet is now about 6 weeks old.

Here's what we did. We tethered her legs together with a rubberband running through a piece of a plastic straw (makes a loop on either side that the feet can slip into). Then we used medical tape to straighten her toes. Her leg still angles back with the foot pointing in the wrong direction at times and the toes are still curled. We've had this going for a week now, to no avail. Not sure what to do here. She's been separated from all of the others because she was getting picked on. She mainly sits around without trying to walk.

My question here is, did we discover the problem too late? Should she be 'fixed" by now? Any other suggestions as to what we can do? She is so sweet for a Leghorn. I'd hate to lose her.

Thanks, in advance!

When you say cotton wool, are you referring to cotton/wool blend yarn? Thank you!

Sorry i meant cotton wool pads. I used to put a little bit of the cotton pad around their legs and then some medical tape. Just so the tape didn't pull out there feathers or get uncomfortable. And it worked for me. X

Back
Top Bottom