One of my chickens has an egg stuck inside of her..help?

HappyJack

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Her bottom is enlarged and the feather are falling out and I felt the bottom area and can actually feel an egg that is stuck inside of her and it has been a few days - what can we do for her?

sorry you're having this problem... i'm not sure what to do about it, but i thought i'd give your post a bump.

hope someone w/ experience answers soon!
fl.gif

I think they say to put her in the dark in a warm bath. The dark to stop her egg making instinct and the bath to relax her an her muscles so it can come out. I would search egg bound though, as I haven't read up on this.

Thanks I will do a search and see what I find. Her eggs are very large to begin with so I think the egg to big for her to lay it..... UGH:(
I just put her in a warm bath for awhile so hopefully this will help.

Last edited:
I have had success with giving my eggbound hen a warm bath and applying olive oil or petroleum jelly in the vent and gently massaging her bottom around the egg. I did not want to break the egg. I kept the hen warm and in a pet carrier afterwards.

I have read things on this subject on this forum before, but be very carefull as to which advice you take.
there is another site I think it is called "Daffodils and Dandelions" that had excellent advice by someone who used to be on here all the time and was very knowledgeable about chickens.

Good luck with your hen.

Ok, I just looked up info for you. So this is nothing I have gone through myself. Recommendations are to coat your fingers in mineral oil and reach into her vent as far as you can and coat the end of the egg and her vent and all inside her cloaca with the mineral oil (NOT mineral spirits). You can also use Vaseline petroleum jelly if you have it on hand. You can also feel inside the abdomen and try to work the egg down yourself gently.

If all else fails, you may have to gently break the egg, and remove all the shell pieces as gently as you can. Making sure you cleans the vent and cloaca afterwards. They say to clean the vent area with hydrogen peroxide because of possible cuts and tears from the shell. I'm not sure if peroxide is the best, or if betadine is better?

I got this info from: http://www.poultryhelp.com/eggbound.html

Also
found this topic that might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=19259

Laney

According to Raising Chickens for Dummies, it says to place the hen in moist heat by placing a pan of hot water under a cage with a wire bottom, covering the cage and also using a heat lamp. The heat should remain between 90 to 102. Water should be available at all times for the hen to drink if she will. Alternately it says the vet can give her a shot of calcium gluconate to help her pass the egg.....she needs to pass the egg within about 48 hours...Good luck and let us know what works!!

Back
Top Bottom