One of my chickens isn't laying

waterboychuck

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2021
I have 3 Red Star chickens all hatched on the same day. One the became of age one started laying first and then I was getting 2 eggs, one of which was very light in color while the other was a dark brown. Now for the last 3 weeks I been getting 2 eggs a day both dark brown. They all appear healthy and run to me for treats etc. One has a smaller comb than the other two but I haven't seen a lighter egg in some time. I do have a light in my coop. Any suggestions?

No. I've only got 2 eggs a day.
Then it's *probably* just the same hen, who has been adding more pigment.
The one who's not laying - has she had health issues?
She may never lay. A small percentage of hens just don't. Just like some women are never able to have a baby.

I have 3 Red Star chickens all hatched on the same day. One the became of age one started laying first and then I was getting 2 eggs, one of which was very light in color while the other was a dark brown. Now for the last 3 weeks I been getting 2 eggs a day both dark brown. They all appear healthy and run to me for treats etc. One has a smaller comb than the other two but I haven't seen a lighter egg in some time. I do have a light in my coop. Any suggestions?
If they are under a year old they don't need a light to lay. Sometimes eggs start out light and get darker once the chick's system gets in gear. Also because your chick's are mixed breed, colors can vary depending on parentage. I have had red sexlinks and their eggs were different shapes and colors.

Then it's *probably* just the same hen, who has been adding more pigment.
The one who's not laying - has she had health issues?
She may never lay. A small percentage of hens just don't. Just like some women are never able to have a baby.
No health issues with any. They all come running when I have treats for them.

Back
Top Bottom