One of my chickens just died and I don't know why

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newbie chicken mommy, May 13, 2010.

1. newbie chicken mommy

newbie chicken mommy New Egg

May 13, 2010
    We just purchased 6 chickens all of different breeds on May 2nd at 3 months of age. I went out this morning and saw my silver laced wyandotte, laying by herself under a tree in the outside part of thier coop. She looked sad and I made a mental note to go out after I had gotten my kids down for thier nap, to look at her a little closer. I returned to find her dead in the same spot where I had seen her this morning. Thinking back now, last night I thought it a little unusual that she was perched by herself. They usually huddle up together. This is really the only thing that I have noticed though. She just seemed sad and was a bit of a loner. I had to have found her right after she had passed since she was not stiff at all. I gave her a once over, as much as know to. Her vent looked totally normal, no lumps to be found, throat felt good, feathers were not fluffed up, eyes looked normal.

I have removed and burried her, but am now scared that I will loose the rest of my flock. I am brand new at this so I'm feeling a little uneducated. I did a little research and the only thing that seems to stand out is Marek's Disease. Where do I go from here? Is this something that I did? Or did she bring something with her from the farm she came from? I'm truly open to any suggestions. Thanks so much!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Try giving your other chickens some probiotics and vitamins and electrolytes to help boost their immune systems.

3. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I had the same thing happen about 5 wk ago. Seems for no reason as my hen looked ok the day before. My hen was 1 yr old though. So far no one else seems to be sick or any thing. Sorry for your loss, and I know it's a worry about the others.

4. newbie chicken mommy

newbie chicken mommy New Egg

May 13, 2010
    Is this expensive and can I get these things at a local feed store or do I have to have them shipped?

Nichole

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Probiotics is just yogurt ... plain unflavored yogurt. About 1/2 tsp or so per chicken is good. I just mix some yogurt in a bowl of their feed, stir it together and feed it that way. They love it. Vitamins can be obtained at the feed store usually, and mixes in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by