One of my chickens stopped growing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wendigo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. wendigo

wendigo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    She still eats and seems healthy and energic. The only thing is that she seems to have stopped growing. What can cause this? Another thing I noticed at her is that she lost some feathers, leaving a few areas a bit exposed. I checked under her wings and there were big bald spots on both sides. I'm worried that it has something to do with her not growing. I read that they change their feathers yearly, but it's kinda cold now, she's the only one with this going on and it seems kinda strange to me that she would do this in october.

For comparison, this is her (the orange one) next to another chicken, exactly the same age. You can also see around the tail these gray spots, which are the fur or fizz or whatever it's called from the base of the exposed feathers. In between the visible feathers there are tons of new ones growing.

[​IMG]

Also, forgot to mention that I started deworming today so I'm looking for other possible causes.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How old are they? Do you know what kind she is, how big she should be expected to get? Do you have a rooster? If there are new feathers growing she is possibly molting, or someone plucked feathers out of her and those are regrowing. You've checked for parasites, mites, lice etc?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Inspect her for lice/mites, especially around the vent area. If she's not in molt and doesnt have lice or mites, nor a rooster treading her...you could possibly have a feather picker in your flock.
    However, since you stated that you have seen new feathers growing, it's probably molt. You can increase her protein intake by giving her gamebird feed until her feathers are regrown, then wean her off the gamebird feed back to regular feed. As far as size goes, maybe genetics. As long as she's eating and drinking normally, acting like a chicken should...I wouldnt worry about it.

4. wendigo

wendigo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. No idea about the breed and no signs of bugs. The rooster is pretty cool, he rarely chases them around but that's about it. For happy times he always goes to the biggest chicken which is about his size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by