One of my hens is missing almost all feathers on her back

2pyrs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
When I got my (10) hens from a friend last summer, all of them were missing back feathers and tail feathers. She said they'd been a bit overcrowded in her coop, and that by January, they'd look a lot better.

That was true for all of them except one - she's missing most of the feathers on her back, and her tail feathers are pretty scarce, too. I know she usually spends the night in one of the nest boxes, but I've not seen anyone peck her otherwise.

I can get pics tomorrow if necessary, but would welcome suggestions tonight. Thank you!

Last edited:
:rolleyes:My girls were doing fine in their 8x8 coop until I kept them in for 36 hours with warzine in their waterer...we were unavoidably detained and the 24 hour recommended dose extended to 36 hours. I'm not sure if they got stressed out or what, but shortly after that I had several girls with bare backs, and fluff missing on their tushes! I've ordered Hot Pick from Meyer hatchery, I've also heard Rooster Booster has a spray to discourage pecking too. Hopefully they'll become their beautiful fluffy girls soon

So...do you suggest Hot Pick and Rooster Booster?

(And maybe it doesn't matter, but I don't have a rooster - we're already skirting the law by having chickens, though lots of people do have 'em around here. It's not the sort of thing that's enforced unless there are complaints.)

One of my hens is also missing feathers on her back. At first I though it was the molting process, then I blamed the Rooster. But I'm not so sure the rooster is the culprit. I have been keeping him separated during the day and only allowing him to roost at night with the other 5 hens. I think more feathers were missing during that time. So I kind of baffled at what is going on here. Seems to be a problem since I'm seeing others posting about it. Any one have an answer?

12091_chickens_apr17_20101.jpg

I have one of my RR that looks like that too. My other 4 RR are having the feathers missing or actually broken off in that area. I first thought the (5)BR's were pecking them, I noticed that the BR's do not have any feathers missing, but I got some of the oinment they mentioned from my feed store, and I found my RR out trying to wipe it off her beek. My 2 EE are now starting in with that. The feathers are being broken off. I think they are doing that to their selves, but I am wondering why. I have not noticed mites. I keep DE in the bedding and coop. I use pine shavings. Any suggestions?

ya.... my chicks have been pecking @each othr and now half of them have bloody butts and thr butt feathrs have been plucked out or sumthing and i dont kno wat 2 do

Last edited:
I'm having the exact same problem as Katy68. One of our hens has a patch below her vent that has been plucked clean and the skin is dry cracked and scabby. Have her quarantined.

Poor thing
sad.png

I am curious about something--- I had a similar problem in one of my coops. I got some hen aprons, which helped a little but then I noticed a few hens picking the feathers on the others--- then I got the pinless peepers and that helped tremendously--- I also started giving them high protein treats like sunflower seeds and calf manna--- but then I started thinking--- this wasn't a problem until winter rolled around. I used artificial light and now I am wondering if the fact that they spent considerably less time outside due to the cold--- that all the "spare" time inside may have been the beginning of the feather picking. With the long daylight hours in summer they are outside and better occupied--- I told DH next winter I am going to fore go the artificial light--- anybody else have any thoughts on my theory?

I am curious about something--- I had a similar problem in one of my coops. I got some hen aprons, which helped a little but then I noticed a few hens picking the feathers on the others--- then I got the pinless peepers and that helped tremendously--- I also started giving them high protein treats like sunflower seeds and calf manna--- but then I started thinking--- this wasn't a problem until winter rolled around. I used artificial light and now I am wondering if the fact that they spent considerably less time outside due to the cold--- that all the "spare" time inside may have been the beginning of the feather picking. With the long daylight hours in summer they are outside and better occupied--- I told DH next winter I am going to fore go the artificial light--- anybody else have any thoughts on my theory?

Back
Top Bottom