one of my hens not jumping up on the roost at night

littlered630

Hatching
May 21, 2016
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has experienced and know what it could mean ? One of my hens for the last couple weeks has not been jumping up on her roost at night....they all put themselves in right before dark, they free range all day, but when I go in to check and count to make sure everyone is in before I close up the coop, she is just walking around by herself and she is usually the last one in the coop....so I pick her up every night and put her up on the roost...I have spread out her wings and checked them and her feet, didn't see anything wrong, she walks fine and eats good... there is plenty of room for her to roost so I am puzzled to why I consistently have to pick her up....maybe she is just spoiled...lol! would appreciate any info....thanks in advance!

AND!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC. If she's otherwise healthy and acting normally, I'd leave her to her own devices and not worry too much, but keep an eye on her.

Ct

I have a buff orpington who never roosts. She sleeps on the floor for the past 4 months. Nothing is wrong with her, she's fine. Just prefers the ground I guess. The rooster sleeps there too.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has experienced and know what it could mean ? One of my hens for the last couple weeks has not been jumping up on her roost at night....they all put themselves in right before dark, they free range all day, but when I go in to check and count to make sure everyone is in before I close up the coop, she is just walking around by herself and she is usually the last one in the coop....so I pick her up every night and put her up on the roost...I have spread out her wings and checked them and her feet, didn't see anything wrong, she walks fine and eats good... there is plenty of room for her to roost so I am puzzled to why I consistently have to pick her up....maybe she is just spoiled...lol! would appreciate any info....thanks in advance!

As everyone before me pointed out, she's probably fine. Chickens work things out for themselves. The only thing I'd add is that she might not like the roosts. What are you using for the roosts? Some folks like fat dowels, some use natural tree branches, some use 2x4s on the flat. Some birds prefer the flat roosts, others like the tree branches. If you want to experiment a little, try putting a different type of roost in there and see if she takes to it. Might not amount to anything, but it's something you can try.

Another thought -- I had a couple of hens that were the last ones in the coop and were usually walking around on the floor when I went out to shut up the coop. In chicken hierarchy, it can be quite important who roosts next to whom and I found that these hens were at the bottom of the pecking order and had a hard time finding a roosting spot that didn't start a chicken brawl. They ended up staying on the floor until it was almost too dark to see (chickens have very poor low-light vision) and everyone was settled in, then they'd hop up and find a corner to roost on without getting pecked. ...just a thought.

yes I agree but I wait and close the coop and wait about an hour or so and go in and check on her but she is still pacing the floors....I don't want to leave her down on the floor even though I think the coop is good and secured...I still have a fear of something getting in and killing her! thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom