one of my next year butchering goals . . .

on my way to walmart, THANKS!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ya, I agree. I even have my city girlfriend Mel cutting up chickens like Salatin. Seems like when we get orders for 100 cut up chickens I have to have her help to get it done in time. However the most important part is watch how he cuts the thigh where the oyster muscle is where it meets the backbone. The rest is extremely self learning......

Good luck.... and just be prepared to mess about 20 birds up to getting it right.

lol, do you have a country girlfriend too or is that just her name "My City Girlfriend Mel" just teasing
cool.png

thanks, I only raise meat birds for my own families consumption (that's 52 birds a year) half of those I roast whole, so that only leaves 26 birds to cut up. The kids and I should be able to handle that in an hour I think. I have them processed for me so it's just the matter of deboning and freezer packing. I'm looking forward to trying, that darn video is great.

Quote:
I've cut up a bunch of birds and I still can't get the wing off the way he does. He seems to do it in one motion. Seems like I have to attack it from three angles and I always end up cutting into the breast meat.

Quote:
I think one of the biggest reason is his knife is super sharp(thus the need for the glove). That is the only way he could glide thru that joint like that. I noticed at the end, he turns his knife up a little, steering clear of the breast meat. If you notice when he does the other side, he does make several cuts.

We have been cutting up the biggest of the chickens, because we want parts, and they don't fit in the bags we have. We follow the polyface method, with an occasional whole breast just separated from the back, we cook those on the grill with a rub, real good. We are a family of four, and package them in packages of like parts, with enough for a meal, backs packaged in groups for cooking down. It is a little extra work at the end of butcher day, but worth it when preparing a meal.

Back
Top Bottom