one of my next year butchering goals . . .

Very useful thread!
I'm the one who does all our processing. My guys are the squeemish ones so I tell them I'll do the rest if they bring it to me dead. I have, to date, only done 14 birds, and I know it should go faster than the rate I am going. I bought a hand forged knife (very sharp!) at the rennaisance faire as part of my costume (any excuse will do, really. And $35 isn't too bad) and I used it on the last 3. It makes all the difference in the world! I skinned 3 chickens in the time it took me to do ONE this time last year.
I will definatly be checking back to look at those links at home. Thanks all!

Quote:
The other trick to note is the X shaped cut for the breasts, you really need to mimmic that movement to take good advange of the wishbone and not scar up the breasts.

as for screwing up birds, go out and by a few whole warmart chickens for .99/pound and practice on those! When your done make chicken fingers with the breasts and grind up the rest for BARF for the dogs
tongue.png

Quote:
Should be a decent knife. the carbon steel means that the blade will rust. But carbon steel does take and hold an edge extremely well (better than avg stainless blades).

Because the handle material is cheep plastic, and the blade is inexpensive carbon steel, you can get a knife for cheep, takes a holds and edge well and with frequent sharping that butcher knives get when they wear down quickly they are tossed (thus the inexpensive part)

Quote:
We cut them up prior to the rest. We butcher, cut and package, then they go to fridge for rest for 24-48 hrs, then to freezer.

I cannot get my wife to let them set overnight in an ice-packed cooler and cut up the next day. Anyone doing this?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom