One of my two ducks were killed today by a neighborhood dog that got loose

Also, I want to bring her in but after 20 min, she starts panting. I think it is too warm in here for her. Should I bring her in anyway, with a large bowl of water?

I left mine where she had been living in her pen. I made sure it was secure and the dog could not get to her. Your duck may be warm or it might be anxious being in the house and alone. It's tough to say. Do what you are comfortable with and see how the duck does. It's hard to read ducks, as you can see. Good luck.

Have you checked craigslist? In my area, there are some older ducks popping up for sale, as people get new ducklings and make room.

Also check Pet Finder. and did your neighbor offer to pay for another duck?
you didn't say how your duck was killed did the dog jump the fence how did it get to your ducks? Security has to be your main goal now to protect the one left and any you get in the future, theres always going to be a neighbors dog or stray for that matter.

Last edited:
So sorry, this happened to me years ago. Lost 2 ducks and the other had to have major surgery and ended up having a wing amputated.

I dobbed the guy in to the council - his dogs were murdering lambs on the back paddock, tearing up calves and menacing my horses. He was ordered to have them in a secure lock up pen, which he did, but then stopped walking them. Eventually they learned to climb the wire and get out the top. Theres something truly terrifying about seeing a blooded hunting dog the size of a pony climbing wire like a monkey. My ducks were safely on our back deck and brought into the laundry at night by this stage, I didnt take any chances. His dogs were taken away from him, he kept one puppy, which kept getting out and was then hit on the road. Some people do not deserve animals.

Hope your surviving duck finds a friend, any small duck will do.

I haven't really found anything on CL. Emailed someone but haven't heard back. Mirror is a good idea. I will also check PetFinder, thank you for that. Kleon it sounds like your neighbor was a real jerk. I'm sorry.
I technically should not have ducks on my property because I do not have 3 acres of land- and this CT town is ridiculous. So I really cannot do anything about this whole situation.
I have now put a fence in the stream so that no large predators could come in that way.

I, too, ended up going to court over the dog that killed my ducks. I was not compensated for the loss of the ducks, but the dog owner did keep the dog tied up fairly well thereafter, for about two years now. It's so annoying that irresponsible pet owners are allowed to do so much damage to other people's property and pets.

I think its worse when people blame the animals not the people. Im sure his dogs were perfectly good dogs when they were looked after properly, and I felt bad for the dogs that they ended up being destroyed. I never felt bad for the idiot that let it happen to them but blamed everyone else for it.

I cop a bit of flak for my cats - not from neighbors but people I work with. I rescue cats so I have a few and others that come and go. Every now and then some moron calls for all cats to be euthanaised and for them to be outlawed as pets in Australia because they murder the wildlife. My cats are allowed out during the day and occasionally they catch something, but I have never seen them catch a native animal! If ever cats do the horrible things that people accuse them of, its the owners that are to blame.

That is a real shame.. happened to me as well, managed to loose two drakes before they tied up their giant canine.. and we're all rural property..

I do hope you find some ducks for your remaining, personally i'd leave her in the familiar.. being the pen so long as ML said it's secure, ducks dislike change and she's been through more than enough stress.

You could try ducklings, i fenced within a fence.. so section off an area so the ducks can see each other and go from there.. sexed ducklings do exist and if you want tame that is usually your best way unless someone has dedicated the time to tame an adult, a rescue place is good for adoption and they know how friendly the birds are.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom