One of my two oldest hens passed away this morning

bayareapilot

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 8, 2010
San Francisco
As most of you know I have in addition to my regular flock the two of the three remaining older hens from my original first foray into backyard chicken adventures. in fact, the original three Mrs pennyfeather, emma, penny - for the very reasons I found this website byc.

Some of you may recall Penny was killed by a hawk last year. That left my two hens Emma and Mrs pennyfeather. This morning Emma passed away at 10 years and 7 months old at 6:20 a.m. approximately.

As most of you know I have cameras inside all of my coops and on the outside as well. So when I was looking at my morning camera feeds and I saw Emma lying lifeless in the roosting area. I reviewed the video captured inside Emma and Mrs pennyfeather's coop, it looks to have been a heart attack. Emma was doing fine around 6:15 or so . She was lying calmly by Mrs Penny feather and suddenly she jumped up as in a horrible start and flapped over to the far end of the roosting area where there are multiple bars for support. It looked like a heart attack it hit suddenly and then she was gasping for breath briefly and thankfully briefly and then she died. 😥
I knew it was pretty good to have a chicken older than 10 years so I certainly can't complain but it still hurts, cuz I remember raising them as baby day old chicks. The only thing that helped cushion the blow out bed was I had figured it wouldn't be too long even though they all looked very good for their age.
Anyway just wanted to share it with y'all.

☹️😥

As most of you know I have in addition to my regular flock the two of the three remaining older hens from my original first foray into backyard chicken adventures. in fact, the original three Mrs pennyfeather, emma, penny - for the very reasons I found this website byc.

Some of you may recall Penny was killed by a hawk last year. That left my two hens Emma and Mrs pennyfeather. This morning Emma passed away at 10 years and 7 months old at 6:20 a.m. approximately.

As most of you know I have cameras inside all of my coops and on the outside as well. So when I was looking at my morning camera feeds and I saw Emma lying lifeless in the roosting area. I reviewed the video captured inside Emma and Mrs pennyfeather's coop, it looks to have been a heart attack. Emma was doing fine around 6:15 or so . She was lying calmly by Mrs Penny feather and suddenly she jumped up as in a horrible start and flapped over to the far end of the roosting area where there are multiple bars for support. It looked like a heart attack it hit suddenly and then she was gasping for breath briefly and thankfully briefly and then she died. 😥
I knew it was pretty good to have a chicken older than 10 years so I certainly can't complain but it still hurts, cuz I remember raising them as baby day old chicks. The only thing that helped cushion the blow out bed was I had figured it wouldn't be too long even though they all looked very good for their age.

😥
Aw... I'm sorry for your loss:(:hugsI've lost many chickies in my flock to so you're not alone.

😥
I'm so sorry you lost your dear hen. Fortunate for you both that it was quick. You treated her really well and I'm sure she was a happy hen for her whole life. 10 years for a chicken is pretty amazing, but I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. Sending you some good thoughts and prayers.

😥
Congratulations to you and Emma for making ten years and 7 months and dying quickly....not you, Emma, although I would wish the same for you when your time comes.
I've got seniors. I thought I would be more upset when they died. I look back on all the years we had together, the life they led, which given they free range here is a great life, and look at their pictures from time to time and I do feel sad, but we all have to die at some point. Sure I miss them and so do their tribes.
Much harder for me is those who get injured and struggle on for a while and then don't make it.
Take the Irsih view. Give Emma a wake and tell your other chickens wonderful tales of her life to inspire them to grow old, and here on BYC, a bit famous.

Back
Top Bottom