One of the best resources I've found on dealing with roosters

Pics
Chopping up day old male chicks in a chipper is just inhuman imo. What a cruel reality. Some people have black hearts if they can’t empathize with a newborn being killed out of convenience and profit.
At some point in time the relationship between livestock and humans became very twisted and the welfare of the animal was ignored. IMO there should be a responsibility to humans to create a quality life for our livestock.

Chopping up day old male chicks in a chipper is just inhuman imo. What a cruel reality. Some people have black hearts if they can’t empathize with a newborn being killed out of convenience and profit.
At some point in time the relationship between livestock and humans became very twisted and the welfare of the animal was ignored. IMO there should be a responsibility to humans to create a quality life for our livestock.
It's the result of having to feed 331.9 million people and growing by the thousands each day. Where is the breaking point?

Let's be real....every one of us has a personal motivation in everything we do. I do not see the article as an animal activist article, rather a rescue's experience with roosters that they are sharing with others that love roosters. Also, extremism as you state, is really an opinion. You see extremism on this articles side, I and many others see extremism and cruelty for roosters that are ground to death alive.
Every one here loves roosters. We would not be posting on this forum if we did not love roosters. This is reality. Millions of roosters are killed every year and we can't rescue them all. If I save the "naturally" docile roosters, and cull the mean ones, I can keep many more roosters, than if I have to spend all my energy "training" a mean rooster.

Every one here loves roosters. We would not be posting on this forum if we did not love roosters. This is reality. Millions of roosters are killed every year and we can't rescue them all. If I save the "naturally" docile roosters, and cull the mean ones, I can keep many more roosters, than if I have to spend all my energy "training" a mean rooster.
This. It's an unfortunate part of reality that acquiring energy involves death. Humans need complete proteins, cholesterol and biotin to function properly. Either we raise our own complete protein, a process that involves killing excess roosters, or we pass that responsibility onto someone else- usually a factory farm that tortures animals from birth to death

I love animals personally, which is why I raise my own and avoid purchasing animal products to the maximal extent possible. Unfortunately for the roosters that like to attack children for the crime of quietly standing 30 feet away, that involves a swift and painless execution

You are correct! Can’t really do anything in an apartment. And they are building them here in austin at lightning speed. Maybe the answer is to educate people on housing as well.

Let's be real....every one of us has a personal motivation in everything we do. I do not see the article as an animal activist article, rather a rescue's experience with roosters that they are sharing with others that love roosters. Also, extremism as you state, is really an opinion. You see extremism on this articles side, I and many others see extremism and cruelty for roosters that are ground to death alive.
Extremism is coming up with a completely dysfunctional solution. Millions and millions of roosters are killed a year to produce eggs economically. Thinking that municipalities can change their zoning to include roosters in back yard coops and that this would take care of the issue is magical thinking. I live on 10,000 square feet, can’t afford to own a farm and have a good paying job, so there is no way I could have a rooster rescue here. One rooster got dropped off in our neighborhood in June, it started crowing at 4:30 AM, it took exactly 3 hours for someone to call animal control. It’s not logistically feasible or economically viable to do what the article suggests on a large scale, period.

But we can go back and forth about this all day. As I said though, there is a great solution in development, which I’ll repeat: “The best solution to date, that I have heard of, is the development of sensing devices which can sense the trace male hormones in eggs containing rooster ovum, allowing the eggs to be diverted to the food stream before incubation even begins, voila, reduced suffering and waste!! Why don’t such activists types promote this kind of technology rather than insist on forcing their extremism on others? This is the question I have. I think there are actual solutions to these issues if we can get past the extremist ideology, that is often well intended but often presented in such a “cockey” manner that it only raises everyone’s hackles, rather than raising awareness.”

What do you think about the above solution? Why aren’t the animal rights activists crowing about this new technology? Or is it that they don’t want us eating eggs, or meat and the harping on the dark sides of agribusiness is just a way to promote a vegan lifestyle? I’ve been a vegan, explored that path and my vegan acupuncturists told me I don’t have the constitution to be a vegan. Turns out some people can make it work, some people’s constitutions can’t. Ideology that leads to a super rigid way of thinking about how everyone should think and act and live is what I’m referring to when I say extremism.

It's impossible to raise every male hatched from a hatchery. No matter what kind of lala land someone lives in with a pipedream it just can't happen. The males born are simply a byproduct of hatching hens that will lay eggs that will help feed humans. It is what it is. Until there is some type of technology that can either make hens lay embryos that are only females or the ability to decipher male from female in the egg it's gonna be like this.

Extremism is coming up with a completely dysfunctional solution. Millions and millions of roosters are killed a year to produce eggs economically. Thinking that municipalities can change their zoning to include roosters in back yard coops and that this would take care of the issue is magical thinking. I live on 10,000 square feet, can’t afford to own a farm and have a good paying job, so there is no way I could have a rooster rescue here. One rooster got dropped off in our neighborhood in June, it started crowing at 4:30 AM, it took exactly 3 hours for someone to call animal control. It’s not logistically feasible or economically viable to do what the article suggests on a large scale, period.

But we can go back and forth about this all day. As I said though, there is a great solution in development, which I’ll repeat: “The best solution to date, that I have heard of, is the development of sensing devices which can sense the trace male hormones in eggs containing rooster ovum, allowing the eggs to be diverted to the food stream before incubation even begins, voila, reduced suffering and waste!! Why don’t such activists types promote this kind of technology rather than insist on forcing their extremism on others? This is the question I have. I think there are actual solutions to these issues if we can get past the extremist ideology, that is often well intended but often presented in such a “cockey” manner that it only raises everyone’s hackles, rather than raising awareness.”

What do you think about the above solution? Why aren’t the animal rights activists crowing about this new technology? Or is it that they don’t want us eating eggs, or meat and the harping on the dark sides of agribusiness is just a way to promote a vegan lifestyle? I’ve been a vegan, explored that path and my vegan acupuncturists told me I don’t have the constitution to be a vegan. Turns out some people can make it work, some people’s constitutions can’t. Ideology that leads to a super rigid way of thinking about how everyone should think and act and live is what I’m referring to when I say extremism.
This post was not about "sensing devices". So why are you introducing it and then stating this is what everyone should do. Tolerance of others ideas are a way for us to grow as individuals. Saying they are extreme is a way to isolate and exclude.

Back
Top Bottom